General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kylotan
(newbie) Wed 27-Aug-14 11:33:49
Print Post

FTTC enabled in cabinet; but told BT Infinity not available?

[link to this post]

I'm planning to move to a new apartment, and checked beforehand with the postcode on the BT Infinity checker that it was eligible, and it said that it was. Also the DSL checker page says that FTTC is available there, giving 69.5 to 80mbps downstream.

However, someone else has moved into the same block of apartments, and despite also being promised that they could get FTTC (via EE, in their case), they've now been told that 'the cabinet is not ready' and have been given no explanation as to why this differs from OpenReach claiming the cabinet is fully ready, nor any timescale for when it would be resolved.

So I have BT swearing that I can get Infinity, and telling me to order, and I have someone already in the property trying to get Infinity and being told it's just not possible. Naturally I'm reluctant to send BT my money just yet.

Sadly there appears to be no way to reach a human at OpenReach; I've used their contact form but the prospect of waiting 10 working days for a reply is not really good enough.

Is this sort of thing a common issue? Can there be situations when the cabinet is fully enabled with FTTC but you still can't get anything above ADSL?

If anybody is able to check these things, it's postcode NG7 1BP, cabinet 126 (which appears to be a pair of cabinets, one old, one new).
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 27-Aug-14 11:46:08
Print Post

Re: FTTC enabled in cabinet; but told BT Infinity not availa

[re: Kylotan] [link to this post]

If I enter that postcode into the DSL checker here - https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ - It says no FTTC

The postcode checker is unreliable though - ideally you need a full address, or a phone number.

Could be the FTTC cab is full, or one of the cabs isn't enabled?

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Aug-14 11:46:42
Print Post

Flats on Tunnel Road?

It is possible that the cabinet has hit a delay and the checkers have not updated, i.e. went live, they found a problem but not all the databases have caught up.

ISP has routes to Openreach to check and find out what the issue is, and that is why they charge more than the wholesale price to do this stuff for you.

Do the properties have a working telephone line already? And does this agree speed wise with the address check and cabinet number?

Given the full address and telephone number of someone affected it may be possible for me to pester, but only do this once the ISP and other contact methods have been exhausted.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kylotan
(newbie) Wed 27-Aug-14 12:05:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

I also get the same negative result if I enter the postcode; yet if I enter the full address, it gives a positive result.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18854502/bt_infi...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Aug-14 12:07:19
Print Post

It is common for postcode only look ups to fail.

Hence why I asked about telephone number and address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Aug-14 12:08:28
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

If cabinet is full it should switch to a holding message, but this may have happened and the checker change is still percolating.

Checking by postcode alone is useless

Standard User Kylotan
(newbie) Wed 27-Aug-14 12:16:46
Print Post

Yes, flats on Tunnel Road (see my other post for the cabinet details).

Our attempts to get any information about this have failed so far. BT refuse to contact OpenReach on my behalf, saying they just use their database which assures them that everything is fine, and EE are fobbing off the other resident saying that the cabinet supposedly isn't ready, despite every one of BT's various checkers saying that it is. (Maybe BT would be more helpful if I was an actual customer... but why would I pay for a service that I don't even know I can get?)

The properties do have working BT lines, but they have only been used for ASDL up to now as far as I know. The other resident, on EE, gets mixed signals:

- If he uses this checker (www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity) with his number, it says Infinity is not available.

- But if we enter his number into www.dslchecker.bt.com , it comes up with the exact same info that I have for the property, ie. Cabinet 126, everything switched on and good to go.

I'd be happy to chase this up myself if there were any way I could get through to someone at OpenReach rather than just the offshore BT call centre who assume everything is fine based on examining OpenReach's database.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Aug-14 13:01:21
Print Post

In which case given address and telephone number of a property affected I can chase the right people in Openreach and maybe get an answer, need to email Andrew@thinkbroadband.com

Details will only be used for this purpose, no odd attempt to garner marketing information.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Aug-14 13:12:41
Print Post

Or email Bill Murphy, Managing Director of Next Generation Access. He had email me of my exchange is soon to become FTTPoD but it will not plan to add FTTP.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-Aug-14 13:32:16
Print Post

I suggest you edit out the full address and upload a new version of the screen shot. Or easier and just as good, delete the link from here and copy/paste from the checker, minus the address.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to