General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sobol
(newbie) Thu 28-Aug-14 15:35:45
Print Post

FTTC sync 39.7Mbps/18.2Mbps normal on 80/20 profile?

[link to this post]

Hi All,
2 weeks ago I had ADSL2+ installed which was syncing between 10-13Mbps.
Freshly after install PlusNet detected fault on line, something to do with battery.
BTOR engineers who arrived at my premises found water in manhole 10 ms away from my house, dried it and secured. After that I started seeing synci speeds of ~14.05Mbps.

Then Yesterday I've got ADSL replaced with FTTC. BTOR engineer run line test and synced at 47Mbps downstream.

Immediately after connecting BT modem I was seeing speed of 11Mbps downstream and 18Mbps upstream. I called PlusNet and it turned out my IP profile was still set to ADSL, half an hour later downstream speed jumped to 38Mbps.

My PlusNet product is 80/20. They're telling me I'm on correct profile, but somehow it feels fishy to see 18Mbps upstream and such low downstream without some artificial cap.

I've checked my BRAS profile and I can see:
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 38.4 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

What are your thoughts? Is it possible that PlusNet ordered correct profile but wrong one was set? Or perhaps it's DLM cap left over from line fault?

Below is PlusNet reply to my enquiry about slow speed:

"With regards to your line, it is capable of speeds between 22.4Mbps and 47.8Mbps download and between 5.7Mbps and 10.6Mbps upload.

Currently we are seeing sync at 39.7Mbps download and 18.2Mbps upload.

We have you on 80/20 service with your current profile set to 38.4Mbps after your conversation with one of my colleagues on Wednesday.

Please be aware, as advised by David, that this speed will fluctuate during the initial 10 days of activation so until 6th September your speeds will be up and down and nothing like we would expect to see them."
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Aug-14 15:57:07
Print Post

Re: FTTC sync 39.7Mbps/18.2Mbps normal on 80/20 profile?

[re: sobol] [link to this post]

What does this checker give as your FTTC estimates?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sobol
(newbie) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:03:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 47.8 34.8 10.6 7 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 40 22.4 10.6 5.7 -- Available

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:24:41
Print Post

PlusNet sell a 40/20 product and an 80/20 product

Without seeing the actual modem connection speeds it is hard to be sure, but generally lines that get full upload speed go a lot faster than your reported 38 Mbps.

Suspect if PlusNet were to up the profile on their side more you would see more speed, i.e. limit is on the PlusNet side most likely

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User georgelnx
(newbie) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:30:46
Print Post

What does the Plusnet Current Line Speed say?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:33:06
Print Post

I assume when you referred to the BRAS rates in your first post you meant the IP Profiles that appear on the Further diagnostics page of the BT Wholesale Performance Tester?

If so, then you are definitely on the 80/20 Openreach product, which Plusnet would cap to 40Mbps down using the Current line speed setting on your account, (Member Centre >> Connection Details >> High speed broadband), if you had upgraded to the 40/20.

However when they do that that the line sync's at your full speed and the IP Profile reflects that. It doesn't cap your Openreach sync speed. Your IP Profile suggests a sync speed between ~39,674kbps and ~39,776kbps, not the 47Mbps the engineer recorded. We could do with the second decimal place smile.

To be getting a real 18Mbps upstream given the estimate and the below 50Mbps downstream is very strange.

So the answer to your question about whether this is normal is an emphatic No.

I can't see an obvious post from you on the Plusnet Community Forums. You need to create a login for that if you haven't done so. I think you should raise the question there, (using the term "IP Profile" if that is as I assumed).

Also I'm about to post on there about the rubbish "Please be aware, as advised by David, that this speed will fluctuate during the initial 10 days of activation so until 6th September your speeds will be up and down and nothing like we would expect to see them." That is complete garbage. It was not true on ADSLx, and doesn't even apply on FTTC frown. The support people you have spoken to need more training.

Feel free to join in on that over there. I have a different username, but you'll spot it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 28-Aug-14 16:47:27)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:34:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The 40Mbps cap is applied within Plusnet's system Andrew. it doesn't affect the sync and BTW IP Profile.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:39:07
Print Post

I know, hence seeing modem side sync speeds will help a lot.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:41:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Easily calculated from his IP Profile, which I assume is what he referred to as his BRAS Profile.

The result in in my reply to him.

Standard User sobol
(newbie) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:57:41
Print Post

PlusNet high speed broadband shows:
Current line speed:
38.4 Mb

What I refered as BRAS profile(IP profile) And speeds I've got from https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=...

So what you're saying is that even if PlusNet were limiting my speeds the BRAS/IP profile would be showing higher speeds if they were possible?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to