General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User n21
(newbie) Fri 29-Aug-14 18:40:43
Print Post

FTTX arriving 12/14. Will it come to my cab-and where is it?

[link to this post]

Hey!

According to Openreach, FTTC/P fibre is coming to my exchange (EAMTS) by December, presumably part of the BDUK scheme.

We're a small village with only 12 cabinets, I believe, and I can't determine whether I'm able to get it when it launches. So I have a few questions if anyone is able to assist! smile

1) First off, where is my cabinet?! I've looked everywhere for it, followed lines and telegraph poles but can't seem to locate it! It's #5.

2) I came across some data outlining the BDUK rollout for my exchange, seemingly stating that only 3 of the 12 were to be included (phase 13a/13b). My cabinet doesn't appear to be included, yet it strangely has an uplift value listed unlike any of the others. Could this be an indication that it may still be upgraded commercially, i.e. not part of BDUK? I spoke to BDUK about this and they were extremely reluctant to tell me anything, as it's apparently their policy to keep quiet until surveys are completed/additional funding is secured, etc...

3) My exchange is listed as FTTC/P. Does this mean I may be able to get a FTTP connection or is it not that simple?

If anyone can shed light on the situation, that'd be fantastic. Happy to help if you need any more info. Cheers! smile
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Aug-14 20:19:39
Print Post

Re: FTTX arriving 12/14. Will it come to my cab-and where is

[re: n21] [link to this post]

Its the luck of the draw. Only time will tell

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Aug-14 20:47:34
Print Post

Cabinet areas get one of three things

1. FTTC
2. FTTP
3. Nothing

Until it is delivered and live the plans can change.

The Mattishall l exchange has a lot less than 12 cabinets. Believe there are five.

The two largest cabinets look likely to get FTTC, and their might be some EO lines that get FTTP, Cabinet 5 is smaller cabinet on that exchange. That does not mean you won't get fibre, just nothing has been put onto the drawing board yet i.e. a later phase may deliver something, it may not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User n21
(newbie) Sat 30-Aug-14 21:06:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Cabinet areas get one of three things

1. FTTC
2. FTTP
3. Nothing

Until it is delivered and live the plans can change.

The Mattishall l exchange has a lot less than 12 cabinets. Believe there are five.

The two largest cabinets look likely to get FTTC, and their might be some EO lines that get FTTP, Cabinet 5 is smaller cabinet on that exchange. That does not mean you won't get fibre, just nothing has been put onto the drawing board yet i.e. a later phase may deliver something, it may not.

Hey, thanks for your reply!

I thought there were 12 cabinets on Mattishall, at least there were according to the June 2014 PCP document but that might be wrong.

I have Cabinet 1 and 2 as part of BDUK Phase 13a and Cabinet 9 as part of BDUK Phase 13b. What I find most puzzling, however, is that a small selection of postcodes for Cabinet 5 (which happened to be clustered in one concentrated location) have uplift data (5.65x) listed in the document, whilst others do not. Is this an indication of anything? FTTP perhaps? Or a commercial solution rather than a funded one?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Aug-14 21:11:23
Print Post

The others are probably EO clusters

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User n21
(newbie) Sat 30-Aug-14 21:12:20
Print Post

The others are probably EO clusters

Sorry, to clarify, the other what?
Standard User Computerman142
(member) Sat 30-Aug-14 21:16:01
Print Post

EO = Exchange Only

This means there lines go straight to the telephone exchange then to a cabinet.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 25Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Aug-14 21:17:44
Print Post

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

May be seen as a cab number like E_9 for example not really a cabinet, just denotes the bundle of wires

Standard User Computerman142
(member) Sat 30-Aug-14 21:29:17
Print Post

That explains why when I used your cool web home site fibre checker before it said cabinet E_9 and other things like that but wasn't sure what they meant as I thought that wasn't a standard way of numbering cabinets so assumed it was a glitch or something. Good to know what it means now.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 25Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
Standard User n21
(newbie) Sat 30-Aug-14 21:57:32
Print Post

May be seen as a cab number like E_9 for example not really a cabinet, just denotes the bundle of wires

No, I meant what did you mean when you said 'other'. Did you mean the other cabinets on the exchange or the other properties on Cabinet 5?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to