General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andrum99
(newbie) Tue 02-Sep-14 13:10:46
Print Post

Compatible phone service for VDSL2

[link to this post]

I am looking at ordering fibre-based broadband at my flat, but I don't want to change my phone service. The phone is currently through Sky. When I check my line on plusnet's website it tell me that I have an incompatible phone service and I would need to sign up for their phone service to get their broadband. I take it this means that Sky is using LLU on the voice side, and that currently there is no support for having voice LLUed with one provider and broadband LLUed with another. Is my assessment correct?

Thanks

Andrew.
Standard User Al1264
(member) Tue 02-Sep-14 14:43:31
Print Post

Re: Compatible phone service for VDSL2

[re: andrum99] [link to this post]

Plusnet will only provide broadband (ADSL or FTTC) on a BT Wholesale (WLR?) telephone line, not an LLU line. The line does not specifically need to be provided by Plusnet but they do have a surcharge on the broadband charges if you don't also pay them for line rental.

My own telephone line is provided by Zen (great value for my purposes) and FTTC by Plusnet.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:02:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by andrum99:
broadband LLUed with another
PN is not LLU.

It's the Sky line that is the issue.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:16:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

And you can't have broadband with another provider if you have a LLU (unbundled) phone line.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:20:16
Print Post

Why would you not want to take up Sky's Fibre offerings?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:31:28
Print Post

Your assessment is nearly correct but not quite.

It can be done, but not the sort of thing newly-trained Tier 1 support at Plusnet would be able to handle. Some of the more experienced ones, or higher tiers should.

If you migrate the broadband away Sky will let you keep the line rental with them and change it to a normal "BT line". (Wholesale Line Rental which is what all non-LLU lines are). AIUI Sky would need to provide a MAC for the broadband but agree I am correct.

As has been said, your Plusnet costs would be higher. Both the broadband monthly charge and a setup charge that isn't levied if you take Plusnet line rental. If you do take Plusnet line rental you will normally be able to keep the same number. Was it originally a "BT line", or was it installed by Sky from scratch?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User andrum99
(newbie) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:34:36
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Because their routers are rubbish and they don't let you use your own router.

Andrew.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:36:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Depends who you get.

I never got to be a level 2 agent (which more pay) but some of them I could wipe the floor with my knowledge. That said I do agree with what This man says smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Sep-14 16:30:30
Print Post

Do you have broadband from Sky at present?

Paying £7.50 or £10 a month for it? If YES then you are on full LLU and Sky need to move you back to shared LLU first. Slightly messy and probably will mean they will turn off their broadband, and then once the phone is back and recognised by the BT Wholesale checker you will be able to order broadband-only from PlusNet.

IF you do not have broadband currently and have never had it from Sky on that line, then the line should already be a WLR one and PlusNet may be saying no by mistake.

The way to verify if the line is good is whether the BT Wholesale checker at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html understands your telephone number.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andrum99
(newbie) Tue 02-Sep-14 16:54:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry I should have explained - I do indeed have broadband from Sky at the moment. The BT wholesale checker does not recognise the number so that's why I'm guessing I'm on full LLU (i.e. MPF). My brother has phone, TV and broadband with Sky and pays for it and I don't really want to change anything except the broadband. I guess if it was cheaper we could just move the phone as well. The number is 01383 24xxxx which I'm assuming is from Easynet's number range.

Thanks

Andrew.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to