General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Sep-14 17:53:35
Print Post

Wow; DLM works!...

[link to this post]

...Almost; apart from a few issues: -
1. DLM tweaks seem to only force a modem re-sync.
2. The BT HH3 doesn't always notice the modem re-syncs.
3. The IP profile seems to only reset in response to the HH3 rebooting the session.

In any case; after several months getting download speedtest results around 64-65Mbps (and an IP profile around 68-69Mbps), I decided that if everything was now stable, I may as well force a Internet session disconnect/connect (via the HH3 web-pages).
That was yesterday.
At precisely midnight, last night, my HH3 logged a disconnect (session time counter reset to zero at midnight).
I'm now back where I was constantly from 80/20 product roll-out, right up to whatever event dropped my profile by 12% (the actual event dropped the profile to around 55Mbps, but it gradually recovered a little and had been stuck at around 68Mbps for months - I figured cross-talk and assumed DLM had recovered as much as it was going to)...

Either that or the wonderful World of vectoring has arrived in sunny Banbury (some hope smile )

Now;
Download speed achieved during the test was - 75.63 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 60 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

So; an IP profile of 77.43Mbps equates to a full 80Mbps connection speed.

smile

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Sep-14 18:41:09
Print Post

Re: Wow; DLM works!...

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
Either that or the wonderful World of vectoring has arrived in sunny Banbury (some hope smile )
Well, let's face it. It needs something to recommend it as a town tongue

(posted from Brackley - an altogether nicer place to live).

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 02-Sep-14 18:49:36
Print Post

what was your snrm prior to the change, did you have excess?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Sep-14 19:08:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
what was your snrm prior to the change,

Not a clue (I reverted the Modem back to standard firmware ages ago).

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
did you have excess?

I guess I must have done. Not much else explains the sudden jump (maybe 10Mbps) in sync speed at midnight (I can't think BT were fault finding or changing things at that time of night).

Of course; if DLM had "fixed" it a while ago (and it was just waiting for the loop to be closed - feedback, by way of a rebooted session, which only seems to get triggered by the HH), it's always possible my sync has been back at 80Mbps for ages (and the only thing holding the speed back was the IP profile) and because BT don't want you to see the sync speed, I had no way of knowing.

If vectoring is the reason (and I don't believe it is - seen nothing to suggest BT are on the verge of enabling it), that sort of major change (possibly involving firmware flashes into cab equipment is most likely to happen overnight, but I'm pretty sure this is just DLM responding to my HH3 rebooting the session and popping the IP profile up to where it should be.

Hard to imagine there was a line fault. It's been pretty stable since I moved in.
New build house 12 years ago, but all lines underground and brand new services (new cab, new lines, etc.) were put in when the estate was built.

I haven't asked BT to look into any line faults (even when it dropped to its lowest download speed of just under 55Mbps, it was still plenty and still maybe 20x faster than I had on ADSL, so I wasn't really bothered).
I figured it was just cross-talk.
I was one of the first (if not THE first to go FTTC on my cab) and the estate is so far from the exchange (and the cab has run out of capacity several times) I figured it was only a matter of time before almost everybody went FTTC and cross-talk became a real problem.

Just a nice surprise; that's all smile

Maybe the lesson is to re-flash the cheap Chinese "we're watching you" modem, so I can view the sync speed, or ditch both pieces of junk and go for a one-box solution (anybody know if the cheapo Billion BiPAC 8800NL is any good???).

Ade

DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Sep-14 19:19:05
Print Post

DLM adjusts every 15 minutes although often it does take such action to sort itself.

DLM is not as bad as everyone thinks. It only kick in if there are constant DC'S and RC's. I turn my OR modem off every night and on again the next day. Had no drop whatsoever on IP profile
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Sep-14 19:46:39
Print Post

You seem to have forgotten one scenario, that it was crosstalk and the line affecting yours has been temporarily switched off.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Sep-14 19:59:49
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

It's possible and the thought had occurred to me.
Only there doesn't appear to be any fewer wi-fi routers visible (so if it's cross-talk, or a new lack of it, it's not appearing to be in the immediate neighbourhood). My phone line is maybe only 180m from the cabinet, so there's not much distance for cross-talk to get in, and probably only a few shorter lines in the same ducting - and I doubt cross-talk (affecting the top end of the frequency range) could be coming from longer, lower speed lines (as they wouldn't have the top frequencies present, to be able to cause cross-talk).
Also; would DLM, after maybe 9 months or more be suddenly able to jump right back up, from a much reduced speed (to maximum) in one go?
My last maximum speed result, from a speedtest site, was in October last year (TBB speedtests since late last year have been a good 18Mbps slower than the current speed), be suddenly able to jump right back up (to maximum) in one go?

I suppose time will tell...
... If it's a router that's been temporarily switched off (maybe while someone's away on holiday) I'm sure it'll be back again and I'll be updating this thread.

If it comes back, I'll probably reflash the modem (with the hacked firmware) so I can see which frequencies are missing - if it presents that information (can't remember).

Ade

DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Sep-14 11:50:58
Print Post

I always thought early morning like 7am was the best time to do a re-sync?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Wed 03-Sep-14 13:38:36
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In general, I think around that time (a couple of hours after dawn) is accepted as the 'best' time. I personally find that between 12pm and 3pm is the best, when my SNRM is at it's highest.
I was curious as to whether this is the same for vDSL and it appears it is.

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf 100
Exchange: SMYG
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: Broadcom
Router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:38.5dB - 40dB (weather dependent)
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 53% of ISP
Current sync: 9823kbps
FTTC cab in place but not enabled..... yet!
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 03-Sep-14 13:45:45
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

and this is probably the most likely reason.

There is also a chance there was a D side fault which got fixed and was affecting his line, probably the 2nd most likely scenario.

Midnight I believe is a bit early for DLM.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to