General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Sep-14 12:06:38
Print Post

Is fibre more stable than adsl?

[link to this post]

I had a pretty decent adsl2+ connection. It randomly loses sync before resyncing a minute later and can do this every few days or can go a few week without losing sync. Ive done everything my end to help such as replacing the internal cables, using shielded cable etc, but i think its from running tests that the line has noise spikes that cause the signal to drop. Can be anytime of the day so hard to pinpoint

However, im happy with the stability of it. My question is would having fibre make my connection more stable or wouldnt it really change much?

Cheers
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Sep-14 12:31:30
Print Post

Re: Is fibre more stable than adsl?

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

If the cause of the stability issue is between the cab and the exchange then that would disappear on installation of FTTC.

If it is between you and the cab then it could get worse or better. Difficult to say.

My own FTTC connection has been rock solid and the only issues I have seen have been with the home hub 5 - which I replaced.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Thu 04-Sep-14 14:24:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In addition to what Ian says ...

If the instability is due to issues with your internal wiring, stability could get significantly worse with FTTC. In particular, if you have star wiring with an extension taken from junction box before the master socket. A good installer should be able to check/fix things like that; but if you get a subcontractor they are very unlikely to be willing or bothered.

--
BT Infinity 2, moving to PlusNet (26th Sept if all goes well)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Sep-14 15:24:57
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

If I got fibre all internal wiring would be redone anyway as atm I have a long rj11 cat5 cable from the master socket to my router in my room. With fibre I would move the router to the master socket and use a long ethernet cable to my pc
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Sep-14 15:37:38
Print Post

I assume you would do that yourself?

All BT do is take the top bit off the NTE5 and replace it with another socket. which is the FTTC faceplate. No other wiring is touched
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Sep-14 15:44:34
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Yea I would. I would do it now but all the wiring I did was under the carpets and floorboards and too lazy to change it

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 04-Sep-14 15:45:01)

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 04-Sep-14 17:13:28
Print Post

Back in early June, I changed from ADSL2+, ( EE/Orange) to FTTC, 40/10, (continuing with EE/Orange), without any problems.

The ADSL2+ was consistently around 16 Mbps/900Kbps.

The routing from the FTTC 10 metres from my front door, to the PCP, 50 metres from door, is actually approximately 350 metres long, due to the quirks of the 1967 underground cabling.

Within the house, the 10 Metres from the very ancient, simple NTE to the Brightbox 2 is very like yours, under carpets, ordinary extensions etc. The NTE reamains that ancient one, no Test Socket, only one outlet.

I have not had to change any of it; but did replace the ADSL Splitter at the BB2 with the VDSL Splitter supplied with the BB2.

Also changed the ADSL Splitter to VDSL at the "cordless" phone Base Unit; but subsequently changed back to the ADSL one, as I wanted to experiment with the VDSL Splitter.

No obvious problems and consistently get around 37 Mbps and 9 Mbps.

As others have said, that final D-side wiring from the PCP to your house plus its new extension "backwards" to the FTTC are the important external elements when you change over.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Sep-14 17:28:48
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

So having the router next to the master socket, or having a long phone cable and the router in my room wouldnt make much difference?

Ive read different things online. Some say a long phone cable (even when its cat5) can make your connection more unstable and sync lower, while others have said aslong as its not a really long cable then its ok. Mine is about 5-10 metres

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 04-Sep-14 17:29:03)

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 04-Sep-14 18:42:13
Print Post

Evening Bob

Unfortunately, it is one of the "it all depends" situations.

I can only reiterate my own experience.

Just looked in the Brightbox 2-

Broadband Type Fibre
Broadband State Connected
Internet State Connected
Time Connected 362:28:33
Downstream Rate 40.00 Mbps
Upstream Rate 10.00 Mbps

So it has stayed connected for about 15 days.

The BB2 has been switched off several times, whilst playing about with it (new toy); but I do recollect one reading in the 400 hours region.

It is located beside my main PC at the back of the house, about 10 M under carpet, extensions etc from the NTE which is close to the front and the entry point for the phone line.

My opinion and advice would be to ensure that your phone line etc, both external and internal, are in "fine fettle" using ADSLx, to maximise the potential of FTTC/VDSL.

One of the easiest and only costing your time, is the QLT (Quiet Line Test).

Also try to accurately establish the copper wire length from your house to the PCP traditional "green" street junction box, as this is generally the limiting factor on VDSL speeds.

From postings on this forum, a few, unfortunately, have found FTTC/VDSL turns out to be slower and/or problematic than ADSL.

The cable might not follow "the obvoius route", as I have already indicated.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Sep-14 18:52:50
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Cheers. Yea im not looking to move to fibre straight away, as i can get a around 8meg at present and apart from the odd large file i download, i dont really use my connection to its fullest to warrant paying the extra per month
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to