General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User netdeprivation
(newbie) Thu 04-Sep-14 18:11:52
Print Post

Mixed information about FTTC rollout (BDUK phase 12b)

[link to this post]

I don't usually just jump into a forum requesting information about something but I've been having some issues for a while now and thought this place would probably be of great value in regards to what I'm looking for.

In either June or July 2014, I received an email from Openreach informing me that my cabinet was now in their plans to be upgraded to FTTC (after I registered my interest). Back then, fttc-check.alc.im was still available and I was able to find that my cabinet was part of BDUK phase 12b but no specific date.

Upon searching the web, it's said that phase 12b would happen Spetember to December 2014. In both late August and yesterday, I contacted BT to see if they had any information on when I'll be likely to see FTTC available to me and they said it would be available at the end of September and that an engineer was currently performing works on the cabinet. However, I was also told on a separate occasion (in between these dates) that there was no record of an upgrade in process and that it would not be until another 6 months. This week, I've noticed a green cabinet very close (but not on) to my street appears to be currently being serviced and the area sealed off although I am not sure if I am currently being served by it.

I understand that there may not be much information in regards to this but I'll give it a try here anyway (even if it's just guesses and opinions that I hear, these are appreciated too).

Here's the relevant information:
Cabinet 58
Bridlington (MYBNN)

Edited by netdeprivation (Thu 04-Sep-14 18:31:12)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Sep-14 18:40:57
Print Post

Re: Mixed information about FTTC rollout (BDUK phase 12b)

[re: netdeprivation] [link to this post]

If within 25m to 50m of your cabinet and no other green cabinets in that range then most likely is work for your cabinet.

roadworks.org is a useful source of information about works in progress.

The East Riding project people are the ones to talk to if you want firmer dates, but roadworks.org shows the work happening very close to cabinet 58 so I'd say your cabinet is being stood. Might be 1 month might be 4 months for it to go live.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 04-Sep-14 18:54:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the prompt response. As far as I know, this is the nearest cabinet to me and not far away from my residence. As per your advice, I've sent an email to BDUK East Riding to see if they have a more precise date.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Sep-14 20:45:36
Print Post

As the new cabinet has only just been stood, December looks a likely RF'S date at this stage. The actual ready for service date could move forward or backwards eventually.
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 15:38:52
Print Post

Re: Mixed information about FTTC rollout (unresolved)

From visual observation, looks like Ribble is correct. There seems to be a newer cabinet that has been stood although I'm not sure if the old one is still present as I was a distance away from it.

Openreach's where and when page still don't show any update or RFS date and checkers by ISPs as well as the BT Wholesale checker do not report anything on this (although I'm going to presume it's too early). I've sent an email via the contact form on the Superfast Openreach site yesterday to see if they are able to provide any word on this.

Edited by netdeprivation (Sat 06-Sep-14 18:15:30)

(newbie) Mon 08-Sep-14 15:26:50
Print Post

Had a closer look and sure enough a new cabinet is stood but the older cabinet appears to have been removed. Does this mean anything?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Sep-14 15:48:03
Print Post

New cabinet with vents on it, or a replacement of the old green street cabinet that does not have any vents on it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 08-Sep-14 16:09:30
Print Post

Edit: may be mistaken. Will take a closer look another day.

Edited by netdeprivation (Mon 08-Sep-14 16:27:35)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Sep-14 16:22:09
Print Post

this cab should still be in place as well as the new one
(newbie) Tue 09-Sep-14 15:20:55
Print Post

No wonder I didn't notice it from not even that far. The old cabinet was hidden behind some plants. To answer MrSaffron, it indeed does have vents. Hopefully not too long to go.

Edited by netdeprivation (Tue 09-Sep-14 15:28:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to