General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Reado
(newbie) Mon 08-Sep-14 09:25:55
Print Post

Cabinet 6+ months overdue for fibre connection

[link to this post]

Our local FTTC cabinet (LVHOO, CH66 2XH, PCP20) was installed late last year with an estimated connection date of March 2014. The date was pushed back to June and now September 2014. I am not holding my breath for the end of the month either.

I tried contacting my CP (Sky) and they advised me they cannot tell me anything about the cabinet, just that FTTC is unavailable in my area. I asked them to contact Openreach and they said they cannot do this. So I contacted Openreach, but they advised me I need to contact my CP and get them to contact Openreach!

It's so frustrating; no one wants to know! Any suggestions on what course of action I need to take here? I tried asking Openreach for their complaints procedure but to no avail. Is this a case for Ofcom?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Sep-14 09:49:58
Print Post

Re: Cabinet 6+ months overdue for fibre connection

[re: Reado] [link to this post]

Nothing Ofcom can do. There are no penalties for not meeting an ESTIMATED delivery date in the commercial roll-out.

At least the cabinet still has a date of 30/09/2014 so they are still trying to deliver, have you looked at roadworks.org to see if anything like duct blockages are being dealt with. A common problem can be a duct block under a junction where the council does not give immediate permission for roadworks.

Another possibility is that the wait may be for the power company to connect their supply, which invariably means some path or roadworks and thus another set of permissions.

Sky are the ones and they are allowed to interact with Openreach, if they were not they would have no broadband customers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Reado
(newbie) Mon 08-Sep-14 10:01:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK I will go back to Sky and try again.

I look at roadworks.org on a regular basis and have seen the cabinet roadworks when they occur. I have also been at the site when the contractor has been there and asked them the question direct - the last time I saw them was around May this year; they were installing a power meter and told me the fibre cable is there; it just needed power and it should be good to go.

The cabinet does not have a "fibre broadband is here" sticker like the other cabinets in the area have. And I know this sounds kinda weird, but when walking the dog past the cabinet, I have put my ear to the door a few times to see if I can hear any fans inside - but never can! frown

Just hope they fulfil the date this time round!

Should I contact my CP if I have any queries about this cabinet, or can anyone else help me, such as the council?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Sep-14 10:39:00
Print Post

If delay is roadworks and council has a decent system you might find out that this is the delay, but as part of the commercial roll-out beyond that it is down to provider - Openreach interface.

One problem is if a cab misses it original window for some part, then because there are limited teams doing the various jobs it can end up waiting a long time, before say the power teams get around to it i.e. council/BDUK ones where there penalties potentially for not hitting project milestones will take priority.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Sep-14 12:27:14
Print Post

I remember the exact same frustration. It always feels like your cabinet has been left behind, and there is no-one to ask about an update.

In my case (back at the end of 2010, early 2011), the problem came down to obtaining power from a suitable source - and they left plenty of trails of tarmac in different directions to prove it. Each attempt required a couple of months of planning, waiting for roadworks approval, and getting a team on the job.

In the end, it took 6 months to get sorted (and there are plenty of stories on here of longer), and over that time, the date estimates changed perhaps 10 times, varying from September 2010 to December 2011.

At that time, Openreach only provided loose estimates, each ending at the end of a quarter (end of March, June, September and December). As the end of a quarter got close - to within 5 days or so - they'd run through every outstanding cabinet, and move the date onward by one more quarter. Each quarter would generate howls of frustration on here, but it was all thoroughly predictable.

Contacting ISPs, Ofcom, County BDUK, Openreach or BT's CEO isn't likely to alter the date that things happen; the only result will be to keep you busy & keep you frustrated.

Openreach, for a couple of years, did have a good team responding to emails with details about cabinets - and that dealt with problems like yours. However, as the commercial portion of the rollout has dried up, and county BDUK teams have taken over the public interface, that team has disappeared.

The answer: Don't build your hopes up because of any estimated date that is a quarter-end. Don't let your hopes be dashed when such dates change near the end of a quarter. And stay patient.
Standard User mrksctt
(newbie) Wed 10-Sep-14 13:06:38
Print Post

I'm in the same position as you (due 30/9/14), except my cabinet has been in place since July 2013, again no power, no stickers etc.Its original date was 31/8/13!!!

I tried to contact my local BDUK to ask if OpenReach are giving them priority over their commercial rollout, but the person I got was just confused by the question and suggested I try a different ISP, so I just gave up that route.Also done the ISP thing, same result as you.

In fact I've pretty much given up now, and added a page watch to DSLChecker.

But yes I agree its really infuriating, but we are where we are, perhaps when the BDUK rollout is complete perhaps it may get done.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Sep-14 09:06:27
Print Post

[re: mrksctt] [link to this post]

Another one here. Been waiting since original date of June 2012 and still nothing. Cabinet too is apparently without power. Current estimate is Dec 2014...

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
2.91Mb/s - 0.89Mb/s - 18ms and getting worse frown
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2175310790.png
Standard User Reado
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 11:29:17
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

I've given up waiting. Got Virgin Media 100Mbit installed last week and been loving it ever since. Good job really since the FTTC enablement date has now been pushed back to March 2015!!!
  Print Thread

Jump to