General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AJS23
(newbie) Tue 09-Sep-14 00:13:37
Print Post

Speed tests fast but downloads slow

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

I have been struggling with the speed of my BT Infinity service for the last few weeks but just can't figure out what the problem is. I have 80Mb FTTH connected to a BT Business Hub 3. When I connect my laptop via Ethernet cable to the router and perform a speed test, such as the ThinkBroadband or the BT one, I consistently get around 90Mb/s reported download speeds. Similarly I get 40-80Mb reported downloads on wireless which is about what I expect.

However, general internet browsing speed has been poor for the last few weeks, but is particularly noticeable when downloading files. I just performed some tests using the ThinkBroadband test download files, found that even on a wired connection, a 100Mb download was taking over 100 seconds! In between these tests I ran the regular TBB speed test, but as usual was getting reported speeds over 90Mb/s.

I have tried turning the devices on my network off in various combinations but cannot identify any issues at my end. I initially thought it could be a DNS issue so I recently switched to OpenDNS which has improved things slightly. I have even tried a different router and switched wifi channels but nothing has made much of a difference. What is do not understand is why a speed test can give such wildly different results to a file download.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the cause of my problem? BT have, of course, said everything is OK as far as they are concerned. Any advice greatly appreciated. I am based in York.

Regards, Alain
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Sep-14 00:58:48
Print Post

Re: Speed tests fast but downloads slow

[re: AJS23] [link to this post]

DNS? try Google?

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Sep-14 02:11:51
Print Post

Post up your speedtest ran on this site. It can report fast speeds sometimes but seeing the test and the graphs helps us see if there's congestion. Especially the speedtest that runs 6 threads at once, that often hides congestion and provides a good comparison.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Sep-14 09:18:51
Print Post

Is this an XP machine - the RWIN values may need adjusting for the high speeds.

The difference between the tbbx1 and HTTP6 test is critical.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Sep-14 11:15:27
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
DNS?
Highly unlikely. DNS is only queried once at the start of a transfer in the same way that you only look a telephone number up once before you dial. Even the worst DNS server on the planet is going to respond within a tenth of a second, to say nothing of the OS keeping its own cache.

This is also why spending time finding the fastest possible DNS server is generally a waste of time. Reliability and correctness is all that matters. Whether your responses come back in thousands of a second, hundreds or even tenths is unlikely to make much noticeable difference to the end user.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 09-Sep-14 11:20:26)

Standard User AJS23
(newbie) Tue 09-Sep-14 12:24:17
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for replies so far. I can't see how to upload an image to the forum, so I will just describe the result.
Avg TBBx1 86.55 Mbps
Burst TBBx1 89.33 Mbps
Avg HTTPx6 93.67 Mbps
Burst HTTPx6 101.09 Mbps
Latency 28ms
TBB and HTTP graph lines are close to each other throughout.

Immediately preceding the speed test, I downloaded a 100Mb file from TBB, which took 2 minutes 35 seconds! I also tried a 256Mb file from cloudtestfiles.net and got similar download speeds less than 1Mb/s.

The above tests were performed with a wired Ethernet connection to BT Business Hub 3 with wireless disabled and all other connections removed.

In answer to other responses, laptop is Windows 7 but I also have a couple of Android and iOS devices that suffer the same problem. I did also try the Google DNS servers but that made no difference either.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 09-Sep-14 12:31:22
Print Post

Have you tried different browsers?

Have you tried using wired ethernet?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 09-Sep-14 12:32:51
Print Post

Have you tried this: ?
In order to rule out the Homehub as potentially being the device responsible for your speed loss, you can connect the Openreach modem directly to the PC and see if the speed improves.

To do that follow these steps:

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem cable

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop to the modem via the cable instead

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

However, please note that this will stop any other access apart from the PC

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Sep-14 12:40:31
Print Post

That looks ok to me, but I think the images will really help.

Run the speedtest and then afterwards click copy to clipboard on the speedtest.

Then paste that here.

That's probably the easiest way to do it for you.
Standard User AJS23
(newbie) Tue 09-Sep-14 12:52:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for that suggestion, I wasn't aware that the router could be bypassed all together. It made no difference unfortunately, still getting file download around 50Kbps. Have tried different computers , devices and browsers - they are all affected.
Regards, Alain
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to