General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DarrenBricks
(newbie) Tue 09-Sep-14 23:53:21
Print Post

Virgin Media the only available Fibre?

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,
my first post here!
My name is Darren and I live in England.
So nice to meet you guys first of all.

I currently live in East Midlands and am about to move to a new home.
At the moment my ISP is Sky with which I have Fibre Unlimited, I always have been very happy with it so imagine my disappointment when they told me I could not take it over to the new home!!
What a disaster!
So I looked at an alternative and found out no one but Virgin media provides fibre in that area...
A quick trustpilot read to find out over 700 opinions were all bad (1 star!!) and my morale was gone....
I now have 10mbit up and am being transferred to 1.3 (*sigh sob*) so I thought switching operator would be a good idea, but the only one that does seems to be utter C***.

To you all a couple of questions:
how do I find out if they're going to activate it in my area and if not... is Virgin so bad?

Thanks
Time to head off to bed now!
Talk tomorrow guys!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Sep-14 08:14:50
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media the only available Fibre?

[re: DarrenBricks] [link to this post]

Chunks of East Midlands will have the FTTC (fibre) service that Sky and TalkTalk and others sell so the key is the exact location (postcode) or failing that town/village.

To get 10 Mbps up from Virgin would mean ordering their 152 Mbps service.

The experience from Virgin varies a lot from area to area, so pay heed to reviews from those in the exact area you are moving to.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 10-Sep-14 09:28:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good morning,
it's really difficult for me to find area-specific reviews and I don't know anyone in the neighbourhood yet.
Is there any way to see if it's going to be available soon?

The Virgin 152 is ok; what worries me is the bandwidth cap policy they adopt

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Sep-14 09:53:31
Print Post

We need to know a lot more (e.g. postcode) to offer advice on how soon or not.

Given the name of the town might be enough to identify which county project covers you for the improvements to fibre coverage, BUT if Virgin Media already widely available in the area public money may not bring another fibre service to you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 10-Sep-14 10:43:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sent it via PM.
Thanks in advance!
Really depressed at the idea it might never be an option.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Sep-14 10:51:53
Print Post

Really depressed at the idea it might never be an option.

Personally I would like to have the option of Virgin but there is even less chance of Virgin installing where I am than of BT installing anywhere else in the country. At least you have an option - there are a large number that still have no option for fast internet.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(member) Wed 10-Sep-14 11:17:19
Print Post

As pointed out Virgin is very hit and miss, some areas it's amazing others it's awful, A good friend of mine for instance at his house was getting max speed all the time and had no issues so when he moved house which had Virgin media again he snapped it up.
Straight away he had issues, Pings over 400, Downloads and uploads all over the place with downloads rarely getting over 2meg, Uploads were lucky to hit 0.3, Even though he was paying for 100meg or so. Turns out that the subscribed/utilisation was very high in his new places area and they had a fix in place to get more bandwidth a month away.
He decided to stay and live with it for now as they said it would sort the issue (He did also have no probs at previous place also after all), The date came and went and when he phoned up was told it was delayed for a couple months, Again he waited and again the date was missed and pushed back another month, This time it was done and all was fine...............for 4 days before the speed plummeted again.
Fed up he phoned up and asked to leave and after a small fight they agreed to terminate his service.

If you check Virgin Media forum there are complaints about the same thing on many different places so you can always look to see if your new area is on the forum, If it is stay away for sure, If not be wary and email about the area asking if any issues about over ulilisation or any complaints about speed in general.
Standard User redbutcher
(learned) Wed 10-Sep-14 11:46:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It really depends where you are I think as to how good the service is. I'm in Northampton and Virgin is the only option I have for fibre. I'm on the 120Mb and should be 152Mb by the end of next month. I've been very happy with the service - no complaints at all.
(newbie) Wed 10-Sep-14 13:04:52
Print Post

[re: redbutcher] [link to this post]

I'm just browsing the (Virgin) forum to see if I get some info about it...
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Sep-14 13:20:42
Print Post

U need to post here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/ and put your post code and ask someone who live the same as your post code to see if virgin media is high utilisation in the area!

I used to be with virgin media 152/12 but I left them last February because fed up of high utilisation, so I went onto FTTC instead and never look back at Virgin ever again. They used to be good when it was with telewest cable.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to