General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rathga
(newbie) Wed 10-Sep-14 19:05:10
Print Post

FTTP ISPs?

[link to this post]

Hi all

I've tried searching around for the answer to this, but can't really find anything concrete - so wondered if you could help.

My building is lucky enough to have gotten an offer from both Openreach and Hyperoptic to install FTTP. Hyperoptic looks very good, but there is some concern that you are essentially locked into their retail regime forever.

However, having looked around regarding Openreach FTTP, the situation does not seem much better. I had assumed that any FTTC package would work on FTTP, but I'm not sure that is the case as no FTTC ISP website seems to mention it at all. Can anyone confirm this or not?

Separately, there don't seem to be many proper FTTP packages available apart from BT retail - and they don't even quote a price. Does anyone know what it costs? I know plusnet also are doing a trial, which seems to not be taking any more signups for the time being....

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Richard
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 10-Sep-14 19:11:47
Print Post

Re: FTTP ISPs?

[re: rathga] [link to this post]

Why not Hyperoptic 1Gbps ?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Wed 10-Sep-14 19:30:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Zen do FTTP but I do not know what their prices are. BT obviously do too, I believe their prices are the same as their FFTC offerings except of course for their 200 and 330 options. There are a couple of others but I cannot remember who.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Sep-14 19:44:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

"but there is some concern that you are essentially locked into their retail regime forever"
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Sep-14 19:47:29
Print Post

Plusnet had been supporting FTTP (at the two main FTTC-like speeds) as a trial, which essentially meant they had to put you onto the products manually rather than through their standard order-processing system.

However, they recently stopped accepting new trialists, while keeping the old ones going. It isn't clear whether they don't think it is worth even the manual effort, or they're about to bring out a proper product.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(member) Wed 10-Sep-14 19:58:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by rathga:
Hi all

I've tried searching around for the answer to this, but can't really find anything concrete - so wondered if you could help.

My building is lucky enough to have gotten an offer from both Openreach and Hyperoptic to install FTTP. Hyperoptic looks very good, but there is some concern that you are essentially locked into their retail regime forever.

However, having looked around regarding Openreach FTTP, the situation does not seem much better. I had assumed that any FTTC package would work on FTTP, but I'm not sure that is the case as no FTTC ISP website seems to mention it at all. Can anyone confirm this or not?

Separately, there don't seem to be many proper FTTP packages available apart from BT retail - and they don't even quote a price. Does anyone know what it costs? I know plusnet also are doing a trial, which seems to not be taking any more signups for the time being....

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

AAISP Do FTTP and you don't even need a phone line with them.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 10-Sep-14 20:47:28
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:

"but there is some concern that you are essentially locked into their retail regime forever"
Does that mean you're locked into 1Gbps down and 1Gbps up forever?
Where do I sign? laugh

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User nemeth782
(regular) Wed 10-Sep-14 20:51:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by rathga:
Hi all

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

BT option locks you into BT, it's just that they supply it via other companies. You still need to have a phone line (or FVA, but few offer that), and whoever you go with you pay money to BT.

BT FTTP vs hyperoptic wouldn't even be a question to me.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Sep-14 21:40:24
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

I think the real problem, for a lot of people (and probably *most* people), is that they could no longer get their cheap broadband alongside their Sky TV subscription (like their current 2-year-free offer). Or change to TalkTalk when their promotional offer is better. Or switch again when they feel support is not good enough. Etc.

And remember that where KC offer Lightstream FTTP, they are finding that most people pick the cheapest package: 50/5 speeds, slower than BT's FTTC. They aren't looking for gigabit speeds now.

So, for most people, having an Openreach connection isn't perceived as being locked into BT. It is perceived as being open to many ISPs - no matter who they wholesale from - and that being open, allows them to choose from nationally-available cheap bundles.

Most people therefore vote against losing this free choice of bundles, rather than voting for Hyperoptic's gigabit option (or similar) - especially as most wouldn't go for the expensive top speed option anyway.

For most people, the choice you are asking them to make is "cheap now, fast enough now, but too slow in a decade" vs "expensive now, too fast now, but still fast enough in a decade." Pretty much all of them stop after reading "cheap now".
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Sep-14 22:48:10
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hyperoptic do have slower and cheaper packages for those who aren't chasing absolute speed of course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to