General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User drphibes
(member) Thu 11-Sep-14 20:30:24
Print Post

Fibre coming soon what speed can I expect ?

[link to this post]

Hi

I live in a rural village and fibre looked like a dream but thankfully it appears funding has been sourced and my exhange has a date set for 30.9.2014.
Currently I recieve between 3-4.5 meg depending on what modem I use and was just wondering what kind of speed might the new Fibre service deliver ?

Thanks
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Sep-14 22:57:54
Print Post

Re: Fibre coming soon what speed can I expect ?

[re: drphibes] [link to this post]

Your current speed is completely irrelevant, pretty much all that matters is how far you are away from the fibre cabinet, once it is installed. Does it give you a cabinet number if you enter your telephone number here?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User drphibes
(member) Fri 12-Sep-14 01:37:47
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hi

Yes I get the cabinet number if I enter my tel number into the link you provided. Does every street cabinet have a fibre cabinet or can a new fibre cabinet provide coverage for several regualr cabs? I ask this because the cabinet I am connected to does not have a fibre cab next to it, however approx one mile away a new fibre cab has been installed next to the regular one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Sep-14 02:28:28
Print Post

Each cabinet needs a fibre partner for FTTC.

FTTP is done by cabinet but doesn't have a fibre partner cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User drphibes
(member) Fri 12-Sep-14 10:57:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Each cabinet needs a fibre partner for FTTC.

FTTP is done by cabinet but doesn't have a fibre partner cabinet.

The exchange has a date of 30 sept for the service to go live but I think this might get delayed because the cabinet I am connected to does not have a new fibre cab next to it yet. We live in a village and are quite a distance from the cab but 4 weeks ago some contractors dug a channel close to the underground manhole covers and within a couple of days it was filled in and since then no more work has been done close to us. Shame you cannot get more details from bt other than its due in sept 2014
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Sep-14 12:07:28
Print Post

Can you estimate the cable length to the cabinet you are connected to that hopefully will get a fibre twin? That is the best indication of the speed you should get.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Standard User drphibes
(member) Fri 12-Sep-14 18:15:55
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Using google maps it says I am 1.53 km to the cab, this is obviously using a direct line and not the probable path of the line.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Sep-14 19:14:15
Print Post

So likely to be 2km or more of cable so might be no faster than now, or if lucky may hit 9Meg down, 1.5Meg up

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User drphibes
(member) Sat 13-Sep-14 00:04:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So likely to be 2km or more of cable so might be no faster than now, or if lucky may hit 9Meg down, 1.5Meg up

Yes think its looking that way im afraid unless BT have got something planned. I was speaking to a BT engineer a couple of weeks back when he was repairing a couple of lines in my village and he said that you can usually expect approx 3-4 times what you recieve on adsl. 9ish meg is obviously better than 3 but you cant help feel a little dissapointed after waiting to get fibre and it is nowhere near the upto 80meg that some can recieve.

Fingers crossed we might squeeze into the 10meg + bracket !!
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Sep-14 00:30:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by drphibes:
I was speaking to a BT engineer a couple of weeks back when he was repairing a couple of lines in my village and he said that you can usually expect approx 3-4 times what you recieve on adsl

As a generality that is nonsense, unless he was referring to the specific situation you are in. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing exactly what speed you will get with a cabinet at that distance, but once it is enabled you will at least get an estimate from the BT Wholesale checker.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 67000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to