General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User caley
(member) Fri 12-Sep-14 07:28:54
Print Post

Fibre Multicast

[link to this post]

Good Morning.
Been watching, for weeks now, OR installing large and small cabinets in areas around my road and I was hoping that my Exchange Only line would be included in one of the new cabinets. A few days ago I had (another) check of my number on the BT checker and it informed me that my line was served by cabinet11. Delighted about that.
FTTC hasn't been activated yet but "Fibre Multicast Available" has been added to the available products, just since last night, to the information on the checker. I'm sure that someone here will be able to tell me what this is, in lay mans terms please? Never heard of it before. Is this a prelude to FTTC being activated and is it necessary for fibre connections? The Openreach checker still has my area as "Under Review (UR)" but now that my line has a cabinet hopefully it won't be too long till fibre is added.

Appreciate any information on this.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 12-Sep-14 08:30:57
Print Post

Re: Fibre Multicast

[re: caley] [link to this post]

Knowing which exchange would help smile

Ok, Inverness Culloden looks likely.

Have you seen this site? http://www.hie.co.uk/regional-information/digital-hi...

Inverness Culloden - 7 cabinets live, 5 additional cabinets being built

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 12-Sep-14 08:38:51)

Standard User caley
(member) Fri 12-Sep-14 08:59:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for responding and yes it is Inverness Culloden exchange. Yes I've seen that and also other OR pages and the HIE sites are the most reliable for information. HIE, the page information you link to, is the overseer of the BDUK in the Highlands here and they have said to me in emails and to other people that our fibre should be running by November this year so that's what I'm hoping for. There's still work to be done on the extra cabinets that have been installed, one near the exchange still has a ditch dug round it this morning. Near my road there are 2 large cabinets and 2 small cabinets and that's all I've seen around here but that doesn't mean to say there aren't more further around the estate. However I would really like to know what Fibre Multicast is.

Thanks.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Fri 12-Sep-14 09:29:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by caley:
.... However I would really like to know what Fibre Multicast is.

Thanks.

Caley.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fibre+Multicast smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Sep-14 09:35:39
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

It has appeared because that message appears as soon as one cab is live on the exchange and the fibre multicast service is available.

It refers to the deliver of live TV video streams over the fibre network, and is used by BT Sport for its live transmissions to customers on Infinity.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User caley
(member) Fri 12-Sep-14 10:30:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

So it's not an indication of what's still to come? Ah well...

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Sep-14 10:35:06
Print Post

Alas no

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Fri 12-Sep-14 11:10:00
Print Post

In my case when the exchange was known to have been enabled for Multicast, and prior to FTTP being made available for my 'cabinet area', my line info showed as 'Copper Multicast' available.

Fibre Multicast appeared at the same time as FTTP availability showed on my line info, so it now shows both Copper Multicast and Fibre Multicast available.
  Print Thread

Jump to