General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Sat 13-Sep-14 10:54:26
Print Post

Fibre Product 5-15mb?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My cabinet has finally been upgraded for fibre. I'm still a bit of distance from it and am not showing on the checkers for any estimate. My neighbour on the same line is about 300m closer and has an estimate of 16mb. I know BT used to have a product called option 3 with fibre. I've checked their website and don't see it anymore. I think I'm not showing on checker as I'd be below the 15mb minimum for infinity.

So, anyone know if there are any companies who will take my money in an exchange for faster internet?
Standard User troublegum
(learned) Sat 13-Sep-14 11:46:52
Print Post

Re: Fibre Product 5-15mb?

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jtthedevil:
Hi all,

My cabinet has finally been upgraded for fibre. I'm still a bit of distance from it and am not showing on the checkers for any estimate. My neighbour on the same line is about 300m closer and has an estimate of 16mb. I know BT used to have a product called option 3 with fibre. I've checked their website and don't see it anymore. I think I'm not showing on checker as I'd be below the 15mb minimum for infinity.

So, anyone know if there are any companies who will take my money in an exchange for faster internet?

I'm pretty sure BT still do it, they call it faster broadband. They possibly don't advertise it though.

EDIT: found this - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740...

Edited by troublegum (Sat 13-Sep-14 11:48:12)

Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Sat 13-Sep-14 12:10:25
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

That's great, thanks. I'm wondering if they haven't updated my postcode as according to that, it should give some estimate of speed. My neighbour is on a different postcode even though he's not far away.

Time to ring and be told it's not available smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Sep-14 12:38:39
Print Post

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If this wholesale checker is showing no FTTC option for your telephone and address then at the wholesale level they believe you are too far away.

300m can be the difference between something and nothing particularly if someone has a 16 Mbps estimate, i.e. the cliff with which speed falls off is a lot steeper than with ADSL

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Sat 13-Sep-14 13:10:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/broadband-improvement-pro...

This is showing my postcode as completed upgrading. I'm on 0.5mb and am just getting bounced about as I'm not showing on the checkers. Even the product above would get me faster speeds about 10mb or more I would hope.

Problem is, BT don't seem to know about this even if I give them the link
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Sep-14 14:38:28
Print Post

Never use post-code checkers! A postcode can be served by more than one cabinet but postcode checkers nearly always only report on one of them.

If possible use the phone number as that is the most accurate.(Doesn't work if you are on LLU phone). Nearly as good is the (full) address checker. Not pure postcode.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Sep-14 16:15:14
Print Post

Yes you have had the improvement from that project, but you are one of the small number whose phone line is probably too long to support a service.

What did the BT Wholesale link I posted say about the line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Sun 14-Sep-14 01:16:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There's been no change on the wholesale checker since before the upgrade. When I say I was using postcode, it was the full address checker as i'm on LLU with talktalk.

I have emailed the DETI to see if it's an oversight or if any other works are planned. It really is damn frustrating having waited so long, for it to stop a few hundred metres from my house!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Sep-14 01:46:45
Print Post

Does it (the BT Wholesale one) give your cabinet number, and is it the one you expect?

There are companies that will supply with estimates as low as 2Mbps FTTC. But we need to see you can get any estimate at all.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 14-Sep-14 01:50:11)

Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Sun 14-Sep-14 09:41:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto.

Yeah it shows me as connected to cab 53 which is the one I was transfered onto recently when it was installed. I can't cut and paste the results but it gives the following

WBC adsl2+ up to 1mb d/l, downstream range: 1-3.5mb
adsl max up to 1mb downstream range: 0.75-2.5
WBC fixed rate 0.5
Fixed rate 0.5
Fibre and copper multicast available with no estimate

The neighbours is exactly the same but also has

FTTC Range A (Clean) D/S 16 10 U/S 1.2 0.8
FTTC Range B(Impacted) 12.6 6 1 0.6

I currently get 0.5mb down and 0.3mb up so even if I was getting in the region of 5-10mb it would be a substantial incease.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to