General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Sun 14-Sep-14 10:07:41
Print Post

Do all WBC exchanges house a handover node?

[link to this post]

Hey guys!

For once I'm going to ask a question which has stumped me for quite a while.

Quite a few people know that FTTC cabinet backhauls are connected to large WBC exchanges which house handover nodes.

So does that mean even the smaller WBC enabled exchanges have handover nodes installed?

E.g. My village has a ~1400 line exchange which has been WBC enabled for over 2 years and has just had FTTC installed - Are the FTTC cabinets in the area likely to be connected to that exchange? It's the only one for about 5 miles that has WBC. The one 5 miles away is around the same size, however in the town 8 miles away is a ~19,000 line exchange.

Just curious wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Sep-14 11:41:32
Print Post

Re: Do all WBC exchanges house a handover node?

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

Don't believe that is the case, but too busy to find an example this morning.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Sep-14 11:52:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Don't believe that is the case, but too busy to find an example this morning.
I think that Brackley shows that not all exchanges have a handover node. Back when FTTC had only been announced the various documents listing it as 'coming soon' had two columns. I think one was 'name', the other was 'exchange'. For the name it always had 'Brackley' but for exchange it always had 'SMBB' which is the code for Banbury. I don't know for sure but there was one FTTC outage that I know also hit Banbury but didn't seem to affect a couple of ADSL users I knew in the town.

Brackley exchange isn't big but it serves over 6,000 properties according to Samknows and had WBC a couple of years before FTTC yet apparently our FTTC is provided by Banbury exchange which is over ten miles away.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 14-Sep-14 11:55:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Sep-14 13:20:05
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Most exchanges don't have a handover node, including those with 21CN/WBC already.
  Print Thread

Jump to