General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colbird12
(newbie) Mon 15-Sep-14 14:54:39
Print Post

FTTP from the distribution point to home (cost)

[link to this post]

I am just wondering whether there is anyone out there with a similar situation as mine that can offer any advice.

I am an EO line on LSWEY approx 3.4KM in length, no FTTC for me of course but amazingly as part of the BDUK programme we are set get FTTP.

There are approx 100+ properties in my area that are all EO, and over the last few months BT openreach and their contractors have been busy laying the poly ducting tubing and blowing fibre through the newly installed ducting and connecting the fibre cables to nodes in newly installed ground chambers.

Of the 100 + house some have their BT phone cable by way of telegraph pole and some through ducting underground. Openreach have installed equipment and fibre on poles ready for deployment as the orders come in.

Now for my situation, I live in one of four houses on a small road, BT have installed new poly ducting all the way to the small concrete chamber outside our properties. Our current telephone lines are direct buried underground in wired armored cable. So we have no ducting or telegraph pole for deployment of the fibre into the 4 homes. It would require digging up 4 gardens across the front of the houses to get the fibre laid.

BT Openreach have said that we tick the NGA box once they have brought fibre to the distribution point, and once this is live we simply place an order with an ISP who will instruct Openreach for the final connection piece for which we will be liable for the whole cost.

So my question is the fact the BT never installed the infrastructure for our 4 houses which they now rely on to deploy services such as FTTP should I (we) be liable for the significant remaining piece left for them to be able to get the fibre into our properties?

I know this is a strange one, and I am not moaning I am truly happy that funding as brought the possiblity of having FTTP to fruition.

I just wanted to understand if anyone knows of any similar situations or can offer any advice?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Sep-14 15:22:13
Print Post

Re: FTTP from the distribution point to home (cost)

[re: colbird12] [link to this post]

As this is Native FTTP the wholesale cost is £99+VAT for a GEA-FTTP installation, i.e. those final few metres to the home.

It is NORMAL to not deploy those final few metres until someone orders it with FTTP.

There are times when if the final dig is highly complex that there may be excess charges, but this would be calculated before they got close to be charged for.

This should be handled for you by your chosen retail ISP - assuming the BT Wholesale checker is showing WBC-FTTP as an order option.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Sep-14 15:35:26
Print Post

Who in BT Openreach told you about the costs? As Mr S says this isn't right as this is a standard list price delivery and you would only pay for excess construction charges if they were identified by the planners - but I believe they have a budget for each connection that they have to expend before you would get excess charges.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Sep-14 15:38:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

There was one other person who posted a similar question a while ago, quoted a big sum but that was with ducting to cross a road etc

For a simple dig and small duct across lawn should be in the normal fee, or they supply duct and you install in your garden as per spec.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User colbird12
(newbie) Mon 15-Sep-14 15:49:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for the helpful replies, it was the Openreach engineer who was doing some survey work.

I think he was trying down quell my excitement by suggesting that the additional work required (Once order is made) and as Mr S says is a reasonable effort beyond would they would normally required to do, which in his opinion would incur additional costs beyond those pre defined set charges.

Which is why I then questioned, if they deploy by Pole/Ducting based on legacy infrastructure, then where none exists (as in my case) surely I shouldn't have to pay the full pound and pence costs of this work.
Standard User colbird12
(newbie) Mon 15-Sep-14 15:57:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Across 3 gardens to reach my property at being the 4th. This includes lawns, concrete footways, fencing etc.

Or about 25 meters across the car park in front of the four properties.

Be interesting to hear of anyone previous experience of costs beyond the usual connections. How much is a telegraph pole? smile This would solve the digging and ducting.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Sep-14 16:05:35
Print Post

Not the full costs, the £99 probably covers to a certain degree a small amount of work on top of the hang tube from pole and then blow fibre down a tube, the figure is unknown and if you can all order at once this may change the economics some more.

Very much a place order and see what happens scenario

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 15-Sep-14 16:25:15
Print Post

Hi. I am the person that Mr S talked about. I live in a cul-de-sac of 16 houses and 4 flats in Whitchurch, Hants which was one of the winners of the Race to Infinity and are destined for FTTP. We also have our copper cabling supplied through armoured cabling and therefore there is no ducting to blow the fibre through. Openreach built a new pavement chamber just on the other side of the road to my house in which they placed the closest manifold to me. There is also another manifold in an existing chamber also on the other side of the road but perhaps 20m further away.

I initially ordered FTTP through my existing ISP, PlusNet in March this year. They were informed by Openreach that there were excess construction charges of £4200 of which Openreach would pay the first £1000 and the ISP would be responsible for the rest. It does appear that the work that they quoted for would have covered many of the houses in the close except for the duct across their gardens. PlusNet told me that they would have to pass the costs to me. I declined the offer.

I then ordered through BT Retail. There was some toing and froing but in the end they have offered to cover the cost of the excess construction and I should have FTTP installed in the next few weeks. The internal visit date that I currently have is 19th September but as they have not started the ducting yet and roadworks.org says 26th - 30th September I am not optimistic that they will meet the 19th. There are 2 of my neighbours who have also ordered through BT Retail who are also waiting.

Seeing that PlusNet and BT Retail are both BT owned ISPs there does appear to be some manipulation of the market in the way that this has been handled. BT will cost me more tun PlusNet but I am paying their standard charges which include no installation fee as a new broadband customer.

So if you initially order from someone other than BT Retail you might get excess construction charges passed on. If so try BT Retail and you might get a different answer.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Sep-14 17:53:57
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

It is good to see that you got some kind of resolution.

It still seems strange that, when Openreach are the ones who decided to supply FTTP to you area, rather than FTTC, that they then force the installation charge through the wholesale level towards the retail ISP.

Hearing the different attitude between Plusnet & BT Retail suggests that the two have very different ideas about whether they can absorb the installation costs that the wholesale level is throwing up.

It also makes me wonder if this is actually the reason that Plusnet are stopping their FTTP trial: they forsee many similar cases coming as BDUK projects start a few more FTTP deployments; they'd rather leave BT Retail to face the costs.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Sep-14 21:50:57
Print Post

No advantage in a pole now, as the manifold has most likely been fitted in the footway box already.

My best suggestion would be for all four properties to order FTTP from the same ISP at the same time, this would hopefully see the costs lumped together, and maybe even negated ??

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to