General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User reywob
(regular) Mon 15-Sep-14 16:15:38
Print Post

How to speed up my FTTC

[link to this post]

I bought Zen FTTC back in July. Before purchase Sales said my line looked to be capable of 42/12 and I took Unlimited Fibre 2.

Actual results 2 months after install (download slower than day 1, otherwise identical): http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... - Identical if I connect a computer directly to the BT modem.

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 25.59 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

I've talked to Zen and they say there's nothing to be investigated as it's not slow enough to count as a fault. They suggested I did a factory reset of the open reach modem (which changed nothing) and test via the BT master socket, which as we had a new filtered faceplate fitted when FTTC was installed I haven't yet tested.

What else can I do?

Edited by reywob (Mon 15-Sep-14 22:15:30)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Sep-14 17:59:26
Print Post

Re: How to speed up my FTTC

[re: reywob] [link to this post]

You need to take the last . off that link for it to work smile

How far are you from the cabinet?

I've re-measured mine (using Google Earth) and I'm around 680m - a bit more than I thought. Dropped to a 27.53Mb IP Profile today.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Sep-14 19:02:42
Print Post

You need to get hold of your SNR margin and see if it's anywhere near the target margin. You should also get the various error counts to see if there's a fault on the line. These are only available in the modem, which is probably locked.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Sep-14 19:16:34
Print Post

You must try the test socket, (an old dangly filter will do), in case the new filtered faceplate is duff.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 15-Sep-14 19:16:58)

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Mon 15-Sep-14 20:30:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Interestingly I came across this about two days back-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

"
Maintenance and failure[edit]
DSL filters that are cheaply made are prone to fail[2] and therefore filters are a very common cause of problems on DSL connections. Internet service providers like AOL recommend changing the filters before they reach a year of service.[3] Other ISPs recommend changing filters after six months[4] or one and a half years.[5] These filters do not 'clog up', but they may fail due to faulty capacitors.[6] Some filters instruct the user on their package to change them after six months of use.[7]

The usual symptom of a failed filter is frequent DSL disconnects or slow internet speed, and the usual procedure to test for failed filters is to remove all filters from the telephone line leaving only the router and checking to see whether the DSL speed increased.
"

Previously, I had thought of them as being relatively robust devices.
Standard User reywob
(regular) Mon 15-Sep-14 22:31:36
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks, corrected the link!

I can't find a FTTC cabinet map online so will have to walk the area tomorrow to find where it is, however the checker says I'm on: Exchange BANBURY is served by Cabinet 14.

Looking at the TBB speedtest map for this area very few people are over 30Mbps, so it may be a Banbury problem.
Standard User reywob
(regular) Tue 16-Sep-14 08:04:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good point.

I tested this morning with two different ADSL filters on the master socket: an unbranded one that I used until 2 months ago on ADSL2, and an adslnation XF-1e, which cost a lot but never performed as well!

Hopefully the whole disconnect/reconnect to change filters hasn't messed with line profiles too much.

Testing the unbranded filter, I got 0.5Mbps more downstream and about 0.5Mbps less upstream than the filtered faceplate.
Testing the adslnation filter I got the same speeds as the filtered faceplate.

These are the profiles that BT Wholesale speed checker shows (on the unbranded filter): http://s16.postimg.org/3qoosy14l/Screen_Shot_2014_09...

If a filter supports a higher sync rate, would it work now, or would I have to leave it connected for a few days to negotiate and reach a higher profile?
Standard User reywob
(regular) Tue 16-Sep-14 08:05:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
These are only available in the modem, which is probably locked.

Unfortunately yes. Looking at getting a modem off a favourite auction site to try unlocking it, but feels like hard work wink
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 16-Sep-14 08:08:51
Print Post

You mean buying one at auction is hard work? Because the unlocking is easy-peasy - if it's a HG612 V3B wink

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 16-Sep-14 08:09:37)

Standard User reywob
(regular) Tue 16-Sep-14 08:10:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Really? I was reading last night about the 4-pins on the PCB board that need connecting up - it also seems the /I models released more information than the /r. Very happy to be corrected - I write software but haven't yet hacked hardware.

Update: I see you've specified the model number - not the ECI one which is what I'm running atm!

Edited by reywob (Tue 16-Sep-14 08:13:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to