General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User splodgit
(newbie) Thu 18-Sep-14 15:40:09
Print Post

TalkTalkBusiness won't give me FTTC

[link to this post]

Having been with F2S (now part of TalkTalk Business) for many years I have been waiting patiently for fibre to come to my exchange (Brighstone, Isle of Wight) to give me a faster service which hopefully would not suffer so much congestion. Fibre has now arrived and is ready to go but TTB tell me that they don't sell any WLR anymore. I don't really want to go to BT and lose all my 11 f2s.com email addresses. Is there any way out?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Sep-14 15:58:45
Print Post

Re: TalkTalkBusiness won't give me FTTC

[re: splodgit] [link to this post]

If TTB won't budge, then can you downgrade to a dial-up and keep the addresses?

In which case buy off a provider whom you choose.

The best deals on FTTC are usually when you combine phone and broadband, so you may find trying to keep both distinct costs you more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User splodgit
(newbie) Thu 18-Sep-14 17:03:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Looks as though I'm stuck with ADSL then. If I junk TTB and find a provider more interested in doing business, is there no way to arrange for incoming email on the old addresses to be diverted to the new domain? I fear that the answer will be NO.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Sep-14 17:05:23
Print Post

Only if TTB will allow the redirect.

This is why for business your own domain that you can add these redirects etc to is the way to go. Time to bite that bullet maybe.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Thu 18-Sep-14 18:30:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by splodgit:
Looks as though I'm stuck with ADSL then. If I junk TTB and find a provider more interested in doing business, is there no way to arrange for incoming email on the old addresses to be diverted to the new domain? I fear that the answer will be NO.

It will take a few weeks to get FTTC from another provider once you have your MAC from TTB. Gives you time to set up your own domain email address[es] and to notify all your contacts of your new email address[es]. This maybe something you don't want to do but you could equally find yourself scratching around if the TTB email services changes in any way or even closed down.

You could have your 11 email addresses hosted for less than a £1 a week, here is an example of what is on offer from one hosting provider: http://www.compila.com/web-hosting/linux-web-site-ho... but there are many providers to choose from.

You then become free to choose whatever ISP takes your fancy and switch to someone else when out of contract without fretting about email issues.

There's all the help and expertise to guide you along this path from this forum. Go for it, you won't regret doing so.
Standard User splodgit
(newbie) Thu 18-Sep-14 19:37:36
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies - I will investigate the suggestions further and if I didn't have so many contacts it would be easy. Changing email addresses should anyway free me from spam for a few weeks and perhaps I could reduce the number of addresses too. Changing up to 100 login registrations and notifying about 1000 individual contacts scares me a bit, however, especially as I would have to look through my archive of messages to remind myself which address the various contacts use. That will keep me busy for a week or two.
Standard User shure
(newbie) Fri 19-Sep-14 09:23:58
Print Post

You might also consider Google mail for business? That way you'll be able to have a professional company email address and you'll never be tied to another provider or hosting service again. And in case you're wondering, the address people see wouldn't be @gmail.com but @insertcompanynamehere.com or .co.uk or whatever you want. I have it for my business and it integrates seamlessly with Outlook, for example. People just think it's your own email you're hosting yourself
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Sep-14 10:21:44
Print Post

I have my domains registered with 1 and 1. Costs about £4 a year for a .co.uk address without email hosting, but you can still setup as many email addresses as you want for that domain, and have them forward to whatever email address you want. I have them set to forward to my ISP'S email account. If I move ISP I just change the forward address. Your own domain name also looks a lot more professional than an ISP address.

If you have more than one line keep the TTB for a month or so whilst you change over, or simply delay the change to FTTC whilst you ensure everyone has your new address.

Print Thread

Jump to