General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AshleyJ
(committed) Sun 21-Sep-14 10:47:22
Print Post

Web page problems with FTTC

[link to this post]

I upgraded to FTTC a few months ago and, whilst I get good download speeds, since doing so I have experienced problems with numerous websites.

Often when I go to a popular website such as Facebook or eBay I find that some of the images do not appear straight away and I have to re-load the page to see them. Google maps also has problem where only 50% of the tiles will appear on initial load and I have to re-load the page to see the complete map. Also I have noticed that some other sites are very slow to load.

I have this problem with both my desktop machine (Win 7) with a wired connection and my laptop (Win 8) with a wireless connection so I don't think it is a machine problem.

I asked around a while ago and it was suggested I looked at the MTU of the connections. I found a tool on the Internet called Mtutest. I ran this and it suggested a maximum MTU before fragmentation of 1446. I have set both machines to this value but the problem is still there.

I am using a Belkin N Wireless cable router with the BT supplied modem and was wondering if this could be the cause of the problem. I was using a Belkin N Wireless ADSL Router prior to switching to FTTC and had no problems with that.

So before I go to the expense of buying a new router I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

Thanks.

Ashley
-----
ZeN 8000 Active - SpeedTouch 510v4/580
Downstream: Somewhere between 4500 and 6500 Kbps depending on which way the wind blows.
Upstream: 448 Kbps.
www.ashleyj.co.uk - www.blood.co.uk/ - Firefox 2.0
-----
Standard User troublegum
(learned) Sun 21-Sep-14 11:42:42
Print Post

Re: Web page problems with FTTC

[re: AshleyJ] [link to this post]

Plug one of the computers directly into the modem (and set up a pppoe connection) and try that for a bit. That will tell you whether the problem is with the router or not.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Sep-14 14:08:51
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Make sure the PC firewall is turned on too if trying a direct connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Sep-14 14:09:32
Print Post

If the modem is set to another value then this may be overriding the PC and be the cause of the issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Sep-14 15:47:21
Print Post

I once experienced a whole set of weird issues like this, and it turned out to be related to DNS - but not in an obvious (or, frankly, explainable) way. Flaky DNS can trigger all sorts of problems.

ISP was Plusnet.

IIRC, the problem existed when the modem/router was set to pick up the DNS server addresses automatically. I guess it did this at the same time it was automatically assigned the IP address. I had a static IP arranged with Plusnet, but I let Plusnet assign that value to me automatically at each new PPP session.

I changed the modem/router, to hard-code the DNS server addresses into place, so that they weren't allocated in the PPP session. This fixed the issue.

Note that I hard-coded the same 2 DNS servers that Plusnet would have sent automatically. It truly wasn't obvious why this fixed the issue.

Other options to try would be to set the DNS servers to public DNS servers, such as the standard Google servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), or setting DNS on the PC directly, rather than relying on the values set by DHCP.

I find a DNS tool useful in looking into DNS speed problems. Try looking for the free "DNSBench" by GRC.
Standard User AshleyJ
(committed) Sun 21-Sep-14 16:56:23
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by troublegum:
Plug one of the computers directly into the modem (and set up a pppoe connection) and try that for a bit. That will tell you whether the problem is with the router or not.

Thanks, I will give that a go and see what happens.

Not sure how to set up a direct ppoe connection, but I expect Google will know.

Ashley
Standard User AshleyJ
(committed) Sun 21-Sep-14 17:03:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the modem is set to another value then this may be overriding the PC and be the cause of the issue

Thanks but I can't see anywhere in the router set-up where you can set the MTU, and it appears that the OpenReach VDSL modem is locked.

Ashley
Standard User AshleyJ
(committed) Sun 21-Sep-14 17:09:41
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I once experienced a whole set of weird issues like this, and it turned out to be related to DNS - but not in an obvious (or, frankly, explainable) way. Flaky DNS can trigger all sorts of problems.

ISP was Plusnet.

IIRC, the problem existed when the modem/router was set to pick up the DNS server addresses automatically. I guess it did this at the same time it was automatically assigned the IP address. I had a static IP arranged with Plusnet, but I let Plusnet assign that value to me automatically at each new PPP session.

I changed the modem/router, to hard-code the DNS server addresses into place, so that they weren't allocated in the PPP session. This fixed the issue.

Note that I hard-coded the same 2 DNS servers that Plusnet would have sent automatically. It truly wasn't obvious why this fixed the issue.

Other options to try would be to set the DNS servers to public DNS servers, such as the standard Google servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), or setting DNS on the PC directly, rather than relying on the values set by DHCP.

I find a DNS tool useful in looking into DNS speed problems. Try looking for the free "DNSBench" by GRC.

Thanks, I will give that a try. The router is set to get the DNS automatically from the ISP (Zen)

One thing I have just noticed is that there is a delay in displaying the pages of the router's web interface - which obviously does not go anywhere near the Internet. I have only been using this Belkin cable router since I switched to FTTC so I'm starting to wonder if the problem is with it.

Ashley
  Print Thread

Jump to