General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User juu
(learned) Tue 23-Sep-14 16:26:27
Print Post

Who owns the BT Openreach modem and can I sell it on move?

[link to this post]

I'm moving abroad. I used to have a contract with Plusnet. I don't think I will have use for the BT Openreach modem (EchoLife HG612) so I was selling it on eBay.

However, I'm not sure if I'm permitted.

I wrote to Plusnet and they responded:

The Openreach modem is supplied by BT Openreach directly and as such does not need to be sent back to us.

When an Openreach modem is installed it typically stays at the property and is used for a Fibre connection regardless of supplier.

If you're going to be migrating your broadband service to another provider using Fibre then you'll use the same Openreach equipment.

I tried to find out an Openreach contact but they tell me to talk to my provider.

So will I get into some sort of trouble if I remove and sell the Openreach modem?

It wasn't at the property before and I commissioned the fiber connection (and paid the cancellation fees on it) so perhaps it is mine now?

Edited by juu (Tue 23-Sep-14 18:53:45)

Standard User troublegum
(learned) Tue 23-Sep-14 18:24:18
Print Post

Re: Who owns the BT Openreach modem and can I sell it on mov

[re: juu] [link to this post]

Just leave it in the house, unless you really need the money in which case I don't think anyone would care if you sold it.

I am pretty sure Plusnet paid Openreach for it as part of the install so they won't be looking for it back.
Standard User juu
(learned) Tue 23-Sep-14 18:52:54
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

It's not about money per se but I actually already sold it on Ebay (before I got Plusnets written response I had understood from them on phone that it is fine) just didn't ship yet and would feel bad in front of the buyer.

If it is legally mine I might as well sell it. If it is not I would not

Edited by juu (Tue 23-Sep-14 18:56:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chris6273
(committed) Tue 23-Sep-14 19:16:31
Print Post

I don't see any problem; I got my HG612 off eBay and there were tons on there!

In any case, any new ISP will likely supply a new modem/router combi anyway which they can do now e.g. HomeHub 5, Sky Hub.etc - The HG612 was issued before ISPs could distribute their own router preference to customers.

Sell it smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Sep-14 19:56:52
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

You can sell it on ebay or give to me for free! wink
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Sep-14 20:12:20
Print Post

Can I take BT Infinity with me if I move home?

If you're moving to an area that has fibre broadband, you should be able to re-order BT Infinity at your new address. You can find out if it's available in your area at www.bt.com/infinity.

If the new service hasn't reached your new area yet, the availability checker will tell you what other BT Broadband products are available, and what broadband speed you can expect.

Please call us on 0800 800 150 to stop your BT Infinity service where you live now and agree an installation date for BT Infinity at your new home.

You should take your BT Home Hub with you, but if you have an Openreach fibre modem, please leave this for the people who move in. We'll make sure you have all the relevant equipment as part of the installation at your new home

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Tue 23-Sep-14 20:34:09
Print Post

Looks like XRaySpex has the correct answer but I don't suppose BT, PlusNet or anyone else really care. I doubt whoever moves in next will have any problem when they get a internet connection, the ISP will just be happy of their custom. Completely up to you though.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Sep-14 11:15:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by juu:
It's not about money per se but I actually already sold it on Ebay (before I got Plusnets written response I had understood from them on phone that it is fine) just didn't ship yet and would feel bad in front of the buyer.

So you already sold it before starting this thread!!! laugh
If it is legally mine I might as well sell it. If it is not I would not

Errr you already sold it, so the above makes no sense now.... Anyways good luck with your move ... smile

My Blog .......... here (still in dev mode)
Me twittering go add
Standard User juu
(learned) Wed 24-Sep-14 13:06:13
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Sold but not shipped. So might still back out, but rather would not.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 24-Sep-14 13:09:17
Print Post

Yeah, sell it. You'll be fine.
If I moved into a place with an Openreach modem, I'd sell it before ordering.
Openreach are obviously on another planet smile

I asked Openreach ages ago, who owns the modem and they told me to contact the ISP. The ISP confirmed I own it.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 24-Sep-14 13:13:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to