General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Sep-14 18:36:11
Print Post

1Gb nationwide?

[link to this post]

So over at ISPReview the stirrings of Labour Digital, who advise on Labour Party digital technology policy, have been highlighted. Perhaps notably -

5. The UK should target nationwide access to 1 Gbps broadband in homes, businesses and public buildings, with 10Gbps services for tech-clusters, as early possible in the next parliament. It is only through universal access to world class internet facilities that the economic and social benefits of the digital economy can be captured by all citizens.

Although fixed line is the primary mechanism for broadband deployment, Government should also embrace wireless and satellite mechanisms where necessary to speed delivery of its targets.

Of course this is not official policy, but perhaps it's the start of something. Full list of 82 recommendations here (Google Docs document - list of recommendations in appendix).

Edited by Spud2003 (Wed 24-Sep-14 18:42:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Sep-14 18:46:40
Print Post

Re: 1Gb nationwide?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Notice the last few words and the fact that satellite cannot get near 1 Gbps yet, and wireless would struggle unless mast density was very high.

Had read through it, and put it aside from the news to-do list until such time as it gets talked off as policy rather than a wish-list for what some in party would like.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Sep-14 19:03:52
Print Post

"Nationwide access" ... "as early as possible" ... "in the next government" ???

Have they decided elsewhere that they want to change the maximum term of government from 5 years to a couple of decades?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zom22
(member) Wed 24-Sep-14 20:41:26
Print Post

The only thing it is the "start of" is the run up to the next election when all manner of promises are made - and swiftly forgotten about later after the election.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Sep-14 20:46:35
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zom22:
The only thing it is the "start of" is the run up to the next election when all manner of promises are made ...

This isn't a "promise" or an official policy but all official policies start some somewhere ...
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Wed 24-Sep-14 21:22:43
Print Post

So supposing a area already has FTTC, to get FTTP do they just run a cable from the cabinet to your house or is a different cabinet or something needed? What I am getting at is what would be needed to upgrade somewhere which has FTTC to make it a 1 Gbps FTTP connection.
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Wed 24-Sep-14 21:53:39
Print Post

Watched Nick Robinson tonight ask Miliband why there was no mention of the National Debt and other monetary questions during Milibands speech at the Labour party conference. The answer was basically that he (Miliband) gave his speech from just a few headings and it was essentially what came to mind at the time. In other words he forgot about little things like money and funding..... 1GB universal broadband would be great but would cost a great deal too and I would be amazed if it happened (though delighted) so I expect such wonderful wishful thinking will quietly be forgotten when the cost is actually looked at.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Sep-14 22:55:41
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
So supposing a area already has FTTC, to get FTTP do they just run a cable from the cabinet to your house or is a different cabinet or something needed? What I am getting at is what would be needed to upgrade somewhere which has FTTC to make it a 1 Gbps FTTP connection.
1Gbps FTTP isn't of course on offer at the moment, but 330Mbps FTTPoD is available in several FTTC areas, subject to survey.

It doesn't run from the cabinet, but from the nearest "aggregation point" to the premises. There is a price list.

If you are interested, start digging re where you are smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 24-Sep-14 22:56:10)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Sep-14 00:55:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you are interested, start digging re where you are smile.

I mis-read that to understand you were advocating a self-install of fibre ala B4RN: dig the fibre in yourself! wink
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 25-Sep-14 02:01:48
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

you mean the debt thats been overhyped by this existing gov?

whilst I agree it wont happen, lets not scare ourselves out of spending money.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to