General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Wed 24-Sep-14 21:50:13
Print Post

TalkTalk estimate vs BTs?

[link to this post]

First of, hello!

I'm wondering. The property im in at the moment is on TalkTalk LLU and I'm getting the following.

DSL Line Speed

Up - 860 kbps

Down - 7709 kbps

Line Attenuation
Up - 24.4
Down - 47.0

SN Margin
Up - 11.6
Down - 7.5

Anyway, the talktalk fibre checker estimates 15mb download. And with such a small increase in speed I can't justify paying more money.

However, the BT checker estimates.
19Mb-27Mb* Estimated download
speed range*
4Mb-6Mb* Estimated upload
speed range

Around 20mb and I would consider it a good upgrade and worth the money especially with two gamers in the house.

My question is, which is more accurate? I'm assuming TalkTalk because I have a TalkTalk line?
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Sep-14 22:19:04
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk estimate vs BTs?

[re: lowe88] [link to this post]

No idea where TalkTalk is getting their estimates from, there should be no difference.

While the downstream may not be a huge improvement, the upstream (at least 4x) will be. Worth looking into, you may be able to get a good deal if you threaten to cancel (free/v cheap upgrade, for example).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Sep-14 22:59:58
Print Post

This BT checker or the BT Retail one?

Use the one I give. If that is what you did, input your full address. The postcode checker is often unreliable and may be what you are seeing from BT.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Wed 24-Sep-14 23:15:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
This BT checker or the BT Retail one?

Use the one I give. If that is what you did, input your full address. The postcode checker is often unreliable and may be what you are seeing from BT.

Using your link and entering my full address it gives me the following

FTTC Range A (Clean)
Down High 27.3 Low 19.1
Up High 5.8 Low 3.9 -- Available

FTTC Range B (Impacted)
Down High 21.6 Low 10.7
Up High 4.9 Low 2 -- Available

What does impacted mean? If the first one is correct with low end being 19.1, I'd be pretty happy with it, I think.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Sep-14 23:27:21
Print Post

You won't know till you're connected whether the line to you is clean or not.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Sep-14 23:29:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by lowe88:
FTTC Range A (Clean)
Down High 27.3 Low 19.1
Up High 5.8 Low 3.9 -- Available

FTTC Range B (Impacted)
Down High 21.6 Low 10.7
Up High 4.9 Low 2 -- Available
What does impacted mean? If the first one is correct with low end being 19.1, I'd be pretty happy with it, I think.
Funny, almost exactly an hour ago I posted on that subject smile.

It looks a bit as though TT are averaging the two low limits, but that is probably coincidence. How do your ADSL2+ figures in your OP compare with the ADSL2+ estimates from that checker?

(That checker and an identical but more colourful one are generally the most reliable, particularly with a phone number - which I don't think will work for you).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Wed 24-Sep-14 23:44:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Interesting.

For ADSL2+ stats they seem to be on the high end of the estimate.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3785101632.png

http://i.imgur.com/WDjkiU0.png (This is just a crop of the BT results page as it's pain to paste due to formatting.

BTW. TalkTalk cap their upload to 2Mb on fibre products right? I've been thinking of trying another provider. Not happy with TalkTalk's support anyway.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 25-Sep-14 01:25:56
Print Post

To me that augurs well for FTTC as it suggests you have a good D-side. (The connection between you and the cabinet. E-side is cabinet to exchange).

I'm a strong Plusnet fan these days. I'm out of contract, having happily restarted it eleven months in. (Previously Prodigynet, Newnet, O2 LLU, IDNet FTTC). I have no intention at the moment of looking around.

The first-line support is good compared to the other big ISPs, and is UK based, but unfortunately due to rapid growth they currently have a problem keeping up with support capacity. Phone wait times can be very long, and tickets are typically taking days to be dealt with. The reps who visit the in-house forums a lot and here frequently are good.

Sky seems quite good. BT Infinity appears to be losing a fair few, many to Plusnet, partly through resenting subsidising BT Sport, and recently because of the latest ludicrous line rental hike. Though admittedly Plusnet have raised theirs, just not as much.

Several smaller ISPs have decent reputations. Alphabetically - AAISP; Aquiss; Freeola; IDNet (too expensive which is why I left); vivaciti; xilo/uno; Zen.

Print Thread

Jump to