General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lip
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 09:53:34
Print Post

Old Whittington cabinet 10

[link to this post]

At the beginning of this week I saw the bt bloke round my cabinet with the rolls if fibre. I thought great fibre is coming the next day the work men came started digging around the cabinet. I asked them if they are doing the work to put fibre on the cabinet. They said yes the cabinet is on the truck. Also asked a bt bloke who was laying some fibre if this cabinet is getting fibre he said yes..

I was getting very excited by this thinking fibre was coming soon. I went yesterday to the cabinet all the work had done all they had done is put a new cabinet with double doors in replace of the old cabinet. No new shiny big Fibre cabinet. I looked on roadworks and they are replacing another cabinet down the road with a new pcb cabinet. Is this like a upgrade for the existing cabinet so they can then out a fibre cabinet in to connect to it
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Sep-14 11:43:45
Print Post

Re: Old Whittington cabinet 10 *DELETED*

[re: Lip] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Sep-14 11:43:45
Print Post

Re: Old Whittington cabinet 10

Updating old street cabinets does happen as part of normal maintenance schedule, but more often part of the FTTC rollout.

If the 'fibre drum' was black plastic tubing with a yellow stripe down it (see ) then fibre tubing was involved and suggests high chance of a fibre twin in the future. Different teams do different parts of the job, so not everything happens at the same time, teams are kept busy doing their individual jobs, rather than camping out at each cabinet for a few weeks until totally finished.

Believe Cabinet 10 is to get FTTC from the Derbyshire programme

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lip
(newbie) Sun 28-Sep-14 18:57:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info. ive just found the digital derbyshire website my area is down for phase 4 2015.

fingers crossed it might go ahead of schedule. a couple of months ago i spoke the the enginers laying the fibre cable to the industrial easte. he said the fibre was down and just need the cabinet connecting.

Daft question now i know but do all the cabinet need a fibre twin or one small cabinets can the fibre connection stuff go inside the exisiting cabinet cos the new one look 3 times bigger than the old one lol

ive just check the open reach site and it says this

"Enabled area

Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you canít place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later. "

does that mean open reach could be doing it on their own or does it mean they will do it on behalf of digital derbyshire

Edited by Lip (Sun 28-Sep-14 18:58:46)

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 19:10:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Updating old street cabinets does happen as part of normal maintenance schedule, but more often part of the FTTC rollout.

That makes sense, I recall the wiring in my old cab was bad and also the cab itself has been better days. Do they rewire it all also?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Sep-14 19:12:17
Print Post

There is an all in one style starting to be used but preety rare. A photo will let someone confirm type

Standard User Lip
(newbie) Sun 28-Sep-14 19:20:02
Print Post

I'll get a pic of it tomorrow. It's most likely to be just a normal cabinet.. It does look like bt are up to something they are installing another 3 cabinet all on the same exchange next week
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 20:21:47
Print Post

Pop your post code in here and it will tell you whats going on. Just hover over phone symbols to get more info

http://roadworks.org/

it will say things like supply 1x NGA, replace 1 PCP (phone cabinet) or adding power for the NAG's from the street power system
Standard User Lip
(newbie) Sun 28-Sep-14 20:56:42
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Pop your post code in here and it will tell you whats going on. Just hover over phone symbols to get more info

http://roadworks.org/

it will say things like supply 1x NGA, replace 1 PCP (phone cabinet) or adding power for the NAG's from the street power system

it said this " Erect/Renew 1 PCP cabinet and base (600mm x 300mm x 1000mm),Install 3m of 3 poly ducts in Verge"

nothing about NGA so looks like just a normal cabinet upgrade

Edited by Lip (Sun 28-Sep-14 20:59:00)

(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 21:26:34
Print Post

Yes that's the new cab going in. Which falls in with what Andrew said smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to