General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MikeVybiral
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 22:25:53
Print Post

FTTC; Competition or does the BT monopoly remain?

[link to this post]

My tax pounds have contributed to the arrival of FTTC in my area, at last, installed by BT Openreach. Promptly, BT retail are now offering Infinity 1 & 2. Ever hopeful, I contacted my own provider, Plusnet, to enquire about upgrading my line. I was told I would have to wait a while because, naturally, BT would offer the upgrades to its own customers first.
Is this how it should work, or simply how it does work - because our regulator is ineffective? Please put me in the picture.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Sep-14 22:41:57
Print Post

Re: FTTC; Competition or does the BT monopoly remain?

[re: MikeVybiral] [link to this post]

Load of rubbish.

If BT Consumer can sell it then the full BT Wholesale gamut of providers can sell it. Sky and TalkTalk are sometimes a week or two slower due to the need to order the fibre link at the exchange.

More likely the news of the upgrade had not trickled down to PlusNet, if https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html says it is available then PlusNet can supply.

If that link says its not available then BT Consumer is lying.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Sep-14 22:53:59
Print Post

Try going in through the online side. (Check out TopCashBack and Quidco for deals first, and if you go through one of them either use a different browser or clear cookies immediately before the ordering run).

Edit - Cashback sites irrelevant, sorry. But have you logged into your Member Centre and checked for the upgrade facility?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 26-Sep-14 23:04:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Sep-14 23:57:53
Print Post

As others have said you should be able to order ... my cabinet went live 29/3/2013, I placed an FTTC order with Plusnet on the 30/3/2013.
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Sat 27-Sep-14 12:38:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MikeVybiral:
Ever hopeful, I contacted my own provider, Plusnet, to enquire about upgrading my line.

Not that it's completely relevant; PlusNet is owned by BT, so I see this as the opposite to monopoly.

In any case they are talking absolute rubbish (Was going to use a stronger word). All ISPs (Including BT Retail) who offer the FTTC product more or less order their FTTC products from BT Wholesale. If one ISP can order a connection for a customer on FTTC then all ISPs can.

Sounds like the guy on the other end of the phone needs more training to put it politely.

It may be their database is slow to update as-well. What does the BT Wholesale checker say?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 27-Sep-14 21:20:59
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

service provdiers are give the same information arounf enabled Cabs as the same time (this will only be once the Cab has been handed over byu openreach)-- its then a docusssion with your ISP (assumeing it sells FTTC)

Edited by Fastman2 (Sat 27-Sep-14 21:22:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-Sep-14 21:29:41
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
service provdiers are give the same information arounf enabled Cabs as the same time (this will only be once the Cab has been handed over byu openreach)-- its then a docusssion with your ISP (assumeing it sells FTTC)

Edited by Fastman2 (Sat 27-Sep-14 21:22:29)
That's after editing?

Ye gods!!

tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to