General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhilLee
(newbie) Mon 29-Sep-14 04:17:43
Print Post

Suddenly dreadful speeds on FTTC

[link to this post]

For some reason, since sometime late on Friday, I'm getting this:
Speed test result

I was getting roughly 12Mbit up, 50 down, and nothing at all changed at my end when the problem started.

With a bunch of teenage kids in the house, it's almost completely unusable.

I've tried two different routers (Technicolor TG582n Pro and Billion BiPAC 8800n) and two different modems (aforementioned BipAC 8800n and the BTOR supplied HG612) - with similar results. Clearly that means that both have been rebooted, in order to change them over.
I've checked throughput on my firewall (an old 2xP3 server running FreeBSD) and it can saturate the cards, so it isn't that.
Internal network is switched gigabit, and it's running at the speed I'd expect for local file transfers.

Downstream FEC errors look bad to me, but I haven't had FTTC for long, so don't have much to compare them with.
Synch speeds look ok (50799 Sync of 61572 attainable) so what gives?
I've a page on MyDSLWebStats as TimeBandit, for anyone who is registered there and can view them, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

Any ideas?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Sep-14 09:10:59
Print Post

Re: Suddenly dreadful speeds on FTTC

[re: PhilLee] [link to this post]

If still there during day today a call to Zen and check they've had no issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Sep-14 09:35:09
Print Post

At least you are able to see your sync which is useful - and looks fine so doesn't look like the fault is at your end.

I would check your IP Profile here: http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTest...

EDIT: Your Billion 8800NL looks like an interesting (and affordable!) combined FTTC modem/router - I've put that on my shopping list for when I have a few spare pennies smile

Edited by b4dger (Mon 29-Sep-14 09:42:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Sep-14 14:10:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhilLee:
I've a page on MyDSLWebStats as TimeBandit, for anyone who is registered there and can view them, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

Any ideas?

I can't tell you about the speed issue - your sync was a lot higher than the speedtest shows, so results should have been higher.

However, your line wasn't working perfectly either:

Looks like there was a serious line issue from Saturday afternoon (~15:00) to Sunday morning (~7:00). Actual sync was a lot lower, there were a lot of FEC corrections taking place, a big burst of CRC errors too.

These shouldn't have been the cause of any problem you have seen, but they won't be helping.

Perhaps you know about changes at these times that may explain why we can see them.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 29-Sep-14 19:47:31
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

I have a Billion 8800NL and although it lacks a few niceties such as 5 GHz wifi and only has one gigabit port it does the job very well. With the latest firmware it also syncs about 4 Mbps higher than my HG612.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Sep-14 01:43:07
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Billion 8800NL cause my line DLM last weekend but I think it my fault to swap over modem too quickly!
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Sep-14 09:26:35
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Thanks, sounds good.
Are the line stats available/ok?

@adslmax - as you mention, hopefully it was you causing disconnects rather than the router/modem.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Sep-14 13:30:03
Print Post

Billion 8800NL had a broadcam chipset BCM 63168 and will increasing your fttc attainable rate and as for line stats, it was ok but not full stats thought. Will work with dsl stats v5 for a full stats

Edited by adslmax (Tue 30-Sep-14 13:30:54)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Sep-14 14:16:02
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

A Broadcom chipset transformed my line on ADSL so I'm a fan - perhaps it will help my FTTC connection...

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 30-Sep-14 19:55:44
Print Post

They are available. I'm using dslstats to log the stats.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to