General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zeco225
(newbie) Wed 01-Oct-14 20:13:59
Print Post

FTTC modem/router

[link to this post]

I'm looking to upgrade to fibre but I want a FTTC modem/router instead of the separate modem and router. Is that possible?

If so any recommendations are appreciated.

Hope this is the right section...
Standard User PhilLee
(newbie) Wed 01-Oct-14 20:41:52
Print Post

Re: FTTC modem/router

[re: Zeco225] [link to this post]

I've found the Billion BiPAC 8800nl is great - it works with either ADSL or VDSL (which is the signalling used by FTTC) so you can even have it pre-configured and running, and when the line gets upgraded, it'll just re-sync at the new speed as soon as you click the right button in the web management interface.
Not a bad price for what you get, it's a sensible physical layout that lets you see the indicator lights on the front, has all the cables at the back, and stands upright so that air rises up through it past the circuit board, so it doesn't run hot.
It's ready for vectoring, as soon as it's available where you are (which could give better speeds), and speaks IPv6 as well as 4 - and can tunnel one through the other.
Broadcom chipset gives good good compatibility with monitoring software and it seems to give good speeds (I've seen a report of 4Mbit increase over the BT supplied modem, but I'm not sure how that was worked out, unless the BT supplied one was unlocked to grab the details - which BT would frown on).
Too soon to comment on reliability or longevity of course - they haven't been around very long, but seem to be pretty popular.
BT even sell them, so can't exactly complain if you use one, now that wires only installs are available.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 01-Oct-14 21:08:38
Print Post

BT give a combined modem/router (HomeHub 5) as standard for new installs.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zeco225
(newbie) Wed 01-Oct-14 21:51:28
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:

Heard the settings are pretty basic, I need advanced options
Standard User MJEdmunds
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 00:13:04
Print Post

AVM Fritz!Box 7390 or 7490.
The present 7390 since 2009 ish
Successor to earlier Fritz!Box 7140 used for VoIP.
All Fritz!Box offer additional POTs (Plain Old Telephone) ports and allow multiple SIP contracts - eg, internetcalls.com (free calls worldwide £30 p.a) and sipgate.co.uk - calls ~1p/min.
Call routing and calling prefix for cost optimisation.
Also excellent call filtering in and out.
Call blocking for nuisance number(ranges) or diversion of number withheld calls to integrated answerphone (up to six and integrated FAX). Messages can be forwarded as emails.
Regular event, status and the call log can be emailed.

The 7390 & 7490 versions include a DECT base station for up to 6 DECT handsets.
The Fritz!Fon handsets work best as they integrate telephone book(s) - 500 or so entries and callers name shows on the handset before you pick up. Updates from the handset and export and import as XML.

The 7390 ran as a decent ADSL modem until early 2010 when we moved over to the Plus.Net FTTC trial. Shortly after the Openreach engineer left, the Huawei modem went back into its box and the 7390 was reconfigured from LAN router back to ADSL/VDSL modem Router.

Very intuitive local (or remote) web management.

VDSL diagnostics show what is going on between the modem and the DSLAM in the cabinet. More information than I or the Openreach engineer could understand.

Some folk moan about the 7390 2G4 and 5G Wi-Fi but our rambling thick walls are no problem.

reviews on Amazon under 'Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7390'

Best £200 ever spent. And I've no shares in AVM!
Standard User Zeco225
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 00:34:05
Print Post

[re: MJEdmunds] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MJEdmunds:
AVM Fritz!Box 7390 or 7490.
The present 7390 since 2009 ish
Successor to earlier Fritz!Box 7140 used for VoIP.
All Fritz!Box offer additional POTs (Plain Old Telephone) ports and allow multiple SIP contracts - eg, internetcalls.com (free calls worldwide £30 p.a) and sipgate.co.uk - calls ~1p/min.
Call routing and calling prefix for cost optimisation.
Also excellent call filtering in and out.
Call blocking for nuisance number(ranges) or diversion of number withheld calls to integrated answerphone (up to six and integrated FAX). Messages can be forwarded as emails.
Regular event, status and the call log can be emailed.

The 7390 & 7490 versions include a DECT base station for up to 6 DECT handsets.
The Fritz!Fon handsets work best as they integrate telephone book(s) - 500 or so entries and callers name shows on the handset before you pick up. Updates from the handset and export and import as XML.

The 7390 ran as a decent ADSL modem until early 2010 when we moved over to the Plus.Net FTTC trial. Shortly after the Openreach engineer left, the Huawei modem went back into its box and the 7390 was reconfigured from LAN router back to ADSL/VDSL modem Router.

Very intuitive local (or remote) web management.

VDSL diagnostics show what is going on between the modem and the DSLAM in the cabinet. More information than I or the Openreach engineer could understand.

Some folk moan about the 7390 2G4 and 5G Wi-Fi but our rambling thick walls are no problem.

reviews on Amazon under 'Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7390'

Best £200 ever spent. And I've no shares in AVM!

I doubt I'll use enough of those features to warrant £200.

The DrayTek Vigor 2860 looks good, might be able to stretch my budget to that.
Standard User PhilLee
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 01:32:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zeco225:
In reply to a post by StephenTodd:

Heard the settings are pretty basic, I need advanced options

Which options?

The choice of modem/router is rather dependent on which features you need or are important to you.

For example, if you have a subnet to route, don't get a Fritz!Box - they can only handle a single public IP address. If that's not a consideration, but advanced telephony capabilities are, then a Fritz!Box is right up your street.

I have a /29 subnet, so I sent the Fritz!Box back, and went for the Billion 8800 - and I'm very happy with it.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Oct-14 01:39:25
Print Post

[re: PhilLee] [link to this post]

Is it not a bit irritating that three of its four LAN ports are only 100Mb?
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 02-Oct-14 10:48:59
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

I have a Billion 8800NL and I don't find it irritating having only 1 gigabit port because I have the gigabit port connected to a 24 port gigabit switch and anything that doesn't require/support gigabit speeds get connected to the other ports.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Oct-14 12:36:51
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Billion 8800NL are one of the best out there. Best broadcom chipset, It's does increasing FTTC speed by 3.6Mbps extra better than unlocked openreach modem HG612. U can see full stats via dslstats software no problem.

Cheaper Billion 8800NL available via websites here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-8800NL-Gigabit-Wirel...

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/18474-billi...

IMPORTANT please do the following settings below:

click onto the configuration section and click on the WAN section go to your PTM0.1 connection and click the "edit" button... on this screen select "IP over Ethernet" from the top dropdown... then change the VLAN mux ID to "101" and change the 8021P to "0", finally change the MTU to 1492.... and click "apply" that should be work on FTTC UK. Don't forget to enter your isp username and password to connect.

Also use Openreach Power Supply (The white one) as it will work on Billion 8800NL because this power supply is less electrical interference than the Billion power supply (black one)

Edited by adslmax (Thu 02-Oct-14 12:48:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to