General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User benedwards
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 07:49:28
Print Post

Fibre cable laid but how long...

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum so be kind smile

On Sunday September 21st fibre cables were laid in my street. I assume these are fibre cables (thick black cables), I just wanted to know if anyone would know roughly how long it takes from cables be laid to consumers able to subscribe to get fibre?

I lived in a house with 40mbps broadband and used it for my business and now I am 5mbps and I am slowly losing my hair....

Hope someone can shed a little light on timeframes as I can not find anything on web.

Thanks,

Ben smile
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Oct-14 08:19:33
Print Post

Re: Fibre cable laid but how long...

[re: benedwards] [link to this post]

anything up to 3 months from when the new cabinets go in. I think. Best thing you can do is keep checking your phone number here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ when it shows up you can order it
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Oct-14 09:18:03
Print Post

That was probably just the tubing. The fibre goes in after, once all the tubing is in place.
There are other elements required also . Could be as little as a few weeks or if there are complications could be months/years/never.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User benedwards
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 09:32:59
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for both replies! I live on a new housing area and our home is quite new. I lived 1 street away on the same house area in a home built in 2003, this house had fibre. One street away!! Why would it be so different, I have done a little digging and we use the same exchange.

This speed is killing my business...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Oct-14 10:07:36
Print Post

Because the service is fibre to the cabinet and each cabinet only serves a few hundred properties. Not all cabinets are fibre enabled.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Oct-14 10:14:52
Print Post

This speed is killing my business...

Why did you move there, then?

OK, perhaps that isn't such a kind welcome, but I bet you won't do that again in a hurry, will you?

In reply to a post by benedwards:
Why would it be so different, I have done a little digging and we use the same exchange.

If only you did the digging before you moved, eh?

An upgrade to fibre doesn't happen at the exchange level. It happens at the level of every individual street cabinet ... and some cabinets are not financially viable for the upgrade, even if some other cabinets in the exchange are viable. New developments were regularly left out of the plans.

Most locations that have been upgraded, or are due to get upgraded, will have been selected for an FTTC upgrade - which means the fibre only goes as far as the cabinet. Some locations, but very few, were chosen for an upgrade to FTTP rather than FTTC - which means fibre to the property; unfortunately, most of those areas have been delayed hugely.

Government-subsidised projects are now happening in every county, coming back and adding fibre capability to some (not all) of the areas which proved unviable originally. The phase 1 projects are due to cover 90% of each county by late 2015, and phase 2 projects will target 95% by some point in 2017. That still leaves over a million homes without coverage though.

I lived in a house with 40mbps broadband

As you mentioned that the previous house had 40Mbps, I assume that by "fibre" you mean your phone line , not Virgin, and an upgrade to an FTTC service. This would have entailed a new green box being installed next to your cabinet (likely to be within 50m of the cabinet, and no more than 100m away); it being fed with both fibre from the exchange (or a nearby exchange) and power from a suitable source; and it being connected to the cabinet with cables with at least 100 copper pairs.

For that house, the fibre didn't have to be installed in the street - it only had to be installed to the cabinet.

Which cabinet? Use this checker (BT Wholesale's address checker); put in the postcode of the old house (only the postcode); hit submit; select the address of the old house from the drop-down. The top line of the result should tell you which exchange & cabinet the old house was connected to, and give you a speed estimate.

Repeat that using your current postcode, then select your address. The result should tell you what cabinet you are connected to; if you are lucky it will also include a speed estimate for fibre and an availability date.

You can also try putting details into the Openreach Where & When site, which might give some details about plans.

If neither of those help, you'll have to find your local county BDUK project to get information from them. This page lists a few.

Without knowing more details about the exchange & cabinets, it is hard to give you any more details.

I assume these are fibre cables (thick black cables)

Seeing "thick black cables" laid in your street isn't necessarily an indication of fibre being installed. The tubing that gets installed is normally thick & black but with a broad yellow stripe.

If your area is due FTTP, then this would be a good sign. If your area is due FTTC, then you want to see fibre being installed to your cabinet, which isn't necessarily in your street.
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Thu 02-Oct-14 10:25:54
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

depending on where it is, it coudl be main spine and not even going to your specific cab - especially if your cab is in a new build area -- who is the developer and what exchange is it

Edited by Fastman2 (Thu 02-Oct-14 10:26:25)

Standard User benedwards
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 10:43:03
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hi WWWombat,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

My old house is served by cab 49:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 74.3 56.1 20 17.3 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 65.6 37.8 20 11.9 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 4 Up to 0.5 3 to 7 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3.5 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Availab

My current house is Cab 56:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 2.5 to 6.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 5.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

I couldn't see anything about fibre there!

I go on openreach everyday and it always states:

Exchange Name: WARWICK

Superfast Fibre is in your area but we canít tell by your postcode if you can get it right now. Please contact your communications provider, who can check using your phone number. Check out our FAQ for more information.

Thanks for letting me know about the black cables - the more knowledge I have the better.

From what you see (the above copy & paste) do you see if fibre will be here anytime soon?

Thank you again.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 02-Oct-14 11:02:09
Print Post

According to the Coventry, Solihull, Warwichshire Superfast Broadband website, the Warwick exchange is on the list for next year but that's all the info there is.
Standard User benedwards
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 11:06:58
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
According to the Coventry, Solihull, Warwichshire Superfast Broadband website, the Warwick exchange is on the list for next year but that's all the info there is.

Hey!

Yes I have spoken to them quite a few times and my area is not covered by them. I believe they are helping rural areas, my area according to their map is not going to covered by CWS Broadband. Thank you anyway smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to