General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sort
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 09:49:23
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 Router Setup

[link to this post]

Just had BT Infinity 2 fibre installed. Speed is shocking (0.95 Mbps over Wi-Fi) but they say expect that in the first few days. However, the router directed me to an internal html help page that said if I have fibre to the home it should be connected to the red WAN port. My router connects to an Openreach socket via the grey DSL port. Is this wrong? I spent an hour on the line to BT trying to get them to understand the question, and the concept of a web page served from the router itself (they thought I was "using Google or a forum"). Giving up on them I rang the engineer who actually installed it (he'd rearranged the appointment so I had his number) and he said you only need to use the WAN socket if you have separate router and modem boxes, which I don't. Is this correct?

TIA for any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Oct-14 10:06:08
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 2 Router Setup

[re: Sort] [link to this post]

If Ethernet is fast, then no reason why Wi-Fi will improve in a few days. #SupportFail

Fibre to the Cabinet (the dominant solution) is a variation of DSL - so yes perfectly normal to connect via the DSL port.

The Fibre port is NOT really a fibre port, look into socket and it will look the same as an Ethernet socket because it is, and it exists so that if you have a Managed Install and an Openreach modem is supplied you can connect the Ethernet cable coming out of that to the Home Hub

OR

If you live in the rare (~140,000 premises) with full glass fibre optic cable into the home you would connect the Ethernet cable coming out of the Openreach ONT (Optical Network Termination) Unit.

So yes on the socket advice they are correct.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Oct-14 10:06:12
Print Post

Sounds like it's connected correctly, you would use the red port to connect to an openreach ONT Box if it were FTTH/P, but you appear to have FTTC and connect using the grey DSL port.
Have you tried/ are you able to connect a device using ethernet to eliminate wifi?
I believe there are some connection stats available in the HH5. I think it under the help page somewhere. Grab those and post here for opinions

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Oct-14 10:58:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sort:
I spent an hour on the line to BT trying to get them to understand the question, and the concept of a web page served from the router itself (they thought I was "using Google or a forum").
A neighbour had their BT Infinity install yesterday and called me for help after the engineer left them with a few loose ends.

I guess you might be referring to where BT 'hijack' the browser the first time it's used and redirect you to pages served locally via the HH? I preferred my own non-BT Retail FTTC upgrade which was much more straight forward and no BT HELP application!

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Oct-14 12:06:07
Print Post

I can easily get over 100Mbps over wifi on my Homehub 5.

There is no reason for wifi to start off slow and increase over a few days. The BT helpline often say things like this to get you off the phone. Not that it's any good ringing them anyway, you know more than they do.

You have FTTC so your Homehub 5 is correctly plugged into the master socket.

To find your line stats, you can go to your Homehub 5 web interface by browsing to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home , then select Troubleshooting, then select Helpdesk. You should see your line stats but you may have to logon using the password on the card on the back of the Homehub first.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User jroadley
(regular) Thu 02-Oct-14 12:15:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'd also turn off "Smart Setup" or whatever it's called - that annoying thing you get when connecting for the first time.

Oh, and defo needs those line stats.
  Print Thread

Jump to