General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User supy
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 15:58:48
Print Post

Only my house cannot get fibre broadband

[link to this post]

I currently take Virgin Media 30Mb cable broadband and home phone, been with them since 2007.

Checking other ISPs' websites for broadband availability, their checkers do not recognise my phone number. Thought ok since it's a VM phone. However, in nearly all cases, my address is not recognised either. For the sites that do offer an address pulldown, my house number is either not listed, or shows as "only select if not in above list". My house is a 1930's mid-terrace.

BT Wholesale Availability Checker (address checker, as phone number not recognised) says "Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address."

All other houses in the postcode incl. neighbours' in the same terraced block,show FTTC available, both on the BT wholesale tracker as well as individual ISP sites.

Openreach Superfast Where And When shows my postcode as Accepting Orders.

Oddly, in Jan 2013 I had successfully placed an online order for BT Infinity, which I then cancelled the same day after VM gave me a better deal to stay on.

Not sure why my home is uniquely not recognised / singled out for non-availability, more so when it seems to have been available when I placed my BT order last year. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Oct-14 17:01:26
Print Post

Re: Only my house cannot get fibre broadband

[re: supy] [link to this post]

Did it appear on the checkers last year when you tried to order?

Any system with 28,000,000 or more properties is going to have mistakes. In theory the ISP you are trying to order through should listen to you, take on board the problem and resolve it with their supplier. What have the providers said when you actually contact them?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User supy
(newbie) Thu 02-Oct-14 17:16:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes it was fine last year and I was able to complete my order wholly online.
This time I spoke to a couple of providers who said I would not be able to place an order online. They could process an initial order for the standard 2Mb broadband with a new phone line and take it from there.
This rules me out for the best deals / cashbacks / gift cards etc available for online purchases, and worse with no definite timeframe on when I would actually get fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Oct-14 17:17:34
Print Post

[re: supy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by supy:
BT Wholesale Availability Checker (address checker, as phone number not recognised) says "Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address."

Not sure why my home is uniquely not recognised / singled out for non-availability,

The addresses in the BTW checker are sourced from 2 places:
- BT's own internal database of premises they have provided service to. These addresses are known as "gold key"
- The PAF - Post Office Address File. These addresses are known as "silver key".

A "silver key" address can be used to order a service from BTW/Openreach, but it will be subject to a survey for them to check whether they can really provide the service. The address will only turn "gold key" when a service is activated.

Until a service is activated, they cannot provide a speed estimate (*)

There are plenty of addresses in the checker that return a result like this. If you put just the postcode into that address checker, it will return a dropdown list of all addresses in the postcode.

If you look at the order of the properties in the list, you can see that they *almost* follow a strict order (1, then 10, 11, ..., 19, 2, 20, 21, ... 29, 3, 30, 31, ... 39, etc). However, they list all the gold addresses first (following the order) then include all the silver addresses (restarting the order).

Your address will be in the bottom part of the list.

(*) - Not quite true. They do include a speed estimate for *some* silver addresses. I Haven't figured out why yet.
  Print Thread

Jump to