General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Fri 03-Oct-14 15:35:29
Print Post

Exchange only line?

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

When using the BT DSL checker, if it says "Address on Exchange" but it doesn't mention "is served by cabinet x" does this mean that the chances are I'm on an exchange only line?

I appreciate you probably get a ton of these questions, thank you in advance smile

Post code comparisons used are AB21 0JY and AB21 0XP
Standard User godsell4
(learned) Fri 03-Oct-14 15:57:04
Print Post

Re: Exchange only line?

[re: Deep_Blue] [link to this post]

Yep, you are on an EO line. Join this exclusive club.

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User caley
(member) Fri 03-Oct-14 16:08:48
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

Don't lose hope, I was an Exchange Only line (no cabinet) till 2 weeks ago and now I can get FTTC. Work is being done all over the country on updating EO lines so keep trying to find out if and when your line will be brought up to FTTC standard.

Good Luck.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RossMcG
(regular) Fri 03-Oct-14 16:26:25
Print Post

[re: caley] [link to this post]

I have almost lost all hope but your post is encouraging.

How did they get you onto FTTC Caley ? Were you close to the exchange?

I have a double dunt , miles away from exchange and EO frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-Oct-14 17:10:50
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

Usual method is add a phone cabinet and a fibre twin and re-arrange lines to go via the new cabinet and then you can order FTTC.

Other options

0. Not seen a user, but believe have seen evidence of some limited copper rearrangement to move the odd lone line onto a cabinet that is very close as part of the projects.
1. Onesie cabinet that cabinets the two cabs into one
2. FTTP used a lot in Cornwall and other projects are using it but to a lesser extent
3. Moving forward for small clusters FTTrN, i.e. small pole mounted VDSL2 device
4. Moving further forward maybe G.FAST

All depends on the cost and the target set by the project and whether there are others who can get an improvement for less outlay.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Oct-14 18:31:36
Print Post

Work is being done all over the country on updating EO lines
Try telling that to those in London with EO lines. No BDUK money in London to fund the necessary network rearrangement.
Standard User caley
(member) Fri 03-Oct-14 20:38:55
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

I am roughly about 800m from the exchange. OR put up a large cabinet with a smaller cabinet (11) nearby. They took ages (7 months) to get it all together and were back and forth to the exchange constantly but couple of weeks ago there it was cabinet 11. I haven't signed up to fibre yet because I can't make up my mind who to go with and I have a real good speed and deal with Xilo so I'm just hanging around trying to decide which way to jump. I want a monthly contract if I can get it. So don't you give up on getting fibre even if OT say you'll not be getting it. I inquired a while ago to OR and they said that there were no plans to do EO lines at my exchange and here I am with fibre. I contacted our local development people HIE and they were so helpful I even got an email from them last week informing me that my line could now get FTTC and offering help if needs be. Phone, email or write to anyone who might be able to tell you anything. Listen to any advice you get on these forums as there are many many knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Caley

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User caley
(member) Fri 03-Oct-14 20:42:46
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Shout a bit louder and longer with many voices and somebody might hear you. I'm a great believer in you don't get if you don't ask but ask louder than anyone else. Many voices make FTTC possible, the more voices the more chance of it being fruitful.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Oct-14 21:14:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by caley:
Shout a bit louder and longer with many voices and somebody might hear you. I'm a great believer in you don't get if you don't ask but ask louder than anyone else. Many voices make FTTC possible, the more voices the more chance of it being fruitful.
I and others have down a fair bit of shouting thank you very much. smile BT want £30K, the mayor's not interested and Lambeth aren't interested because our cluster of 75 lines isn't state owned affordable housing. The one bright star is Hyperoptic who've been supportive from the start, their first proposal was too expensive, although less than BT's, but they seem to have now come up with a proposal which is both affordable and would meet our various needs. It may just be that the private sector will come to our aid.
Standard User caley
(member) Fri 03-Oct-14 21:45:09
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Sorry about the problems you're having. We had newspaper articles here about EO lines being ignored and EO line owners shouting and it seems to have done some good in this area. It all boils down to money though. BT needs to be paid for every screw it turns and they don't care where the money comes from as long as it's going to them. Don't give up it might just pay off if you shout long enough.
Best of luck.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to