General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User atgw
(newbie) Wed 08-Oct-14 15:16:54
Print Post

Sky Connect to BT Infinity migration query

[link to this post]

Fibre has recently become available on my exchange (Cholsey -THCLY) but not on Cabinet 5, to which my phone line (Sky, with Sky Connect broadband) is currently connected.

The 'Livechat' advisor on BT.com informed me that fibre IS available at my address though. I guess this is because Cabinet 4 has fibre availability and there is a SBC (Cabinet 4/2) which sits right next to Cabinet 5.

The agent therefore indicated I could place an order and then they would be able to port my existing phone number. I phoned up after having placed an order and gave the existing phone number to the BT telephone advisor, who noted I should request my current provider to cease all services on the working day before my BT order is due to go live.

I phoned Sky who informed me that they thought BT should do a working line takeover rather than Sky having to cease anything directly and hence Sky are awaiting further instruction from me.

Is anyone please able to offer advice on this - I fear that I will end up with no service and my existing telephone number could be lost!

Many thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Oct-14 16:28:15
Print Post

Re: Sky Connect to BT Infinity migration query

[re: atgw] [link to this post]

You shouldn't be ceasing services at all as you are migrating. You should give Sky notice that you wish to migrate and the date at which you would like your contract to end but do not ask for a cease.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Oct-14 18:27:22
Print Post

Simultaneous Provide

Leaving a fully unbundled service such as Sky or TalkTalk, requires you to co-ordinate the provision of a new telephone line rental and broadband service.

The cost for the new telephone line rental service can be as high as £125, but many providers of line rental have offers running, or you can sign up for a longer term which reduces the cost considerably.

The method you are using is known as a Linked Order Process, and relies upon the new provider(s) placing a provision order for the telephone line rental and then giving you the customer a Linked Order Reference Number (LORN) which can then be passed to your chosen broadband provider. It is then used internally by Openreach to link the two orders together.

The use of a LORN overcomes the presence of tags, which result in a broadband order being rejected, and then a lengthy wait for the Openreach databases to update to reflect the true provider of the telephone line rental. This is why some people have a gap of a week or more when leaving companies like Sky and TalkTalk.

In some cases the actual move of the telephone service can happen early, and if this happens even when a LORN was assigned to the orders, Openreach should then provide the broadband service within 5 working days.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Oct-14 18:51:36
Print Post

I would only go sim provide route and only then if I got this changeover of cabinets in a written commitment.

Worried sales are promising the earth to leave you with no Sky and hope you settle for adsl2+ from BT

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User atgw
(newbie) Wed 08-Oct-14 20:07:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hmmm, thanks everyone.

I did have a nagging doubt that the online help person was telling me a few porkies to ensure the sale went through. I shall call and seek a cast-iron confirmation that I will be provided a fibre broadband service with my number intact; otherwise I'll cancel the order and wait for PCP5 to be upgraded.

It's been so long coming, I guess I can ride out my slow connection for a bit longer.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 08-Oct-14 20:12:05
Print Post

Availability is given by the DSL Checker www.dslchecker.bt.com
If it doesn't say you can get fibre, you can't.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 08-Oct-14 22:01:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by atgw:
Fibre has recently become available on my exchange (Cholsey -THCLY) but not on Cabinet 5, to which my phone line (Sky, with Sky Connect broadband) is currently connected.

The 'Livechat' advisor on BT.com informed me that fibre IS available at my address though. I guess this is because Cabinet 4 has fibre availability and there is a SBC (Cabinet 4/2) which sits right next to Cabinet 5.
That doesn't make sense. What does the checker BatBoy gave a link to say, with both your number and with your address? The same, or different?

The Postcode checker is unreliable, so try that as well. It could be what the BT person was using.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Oct-14 23:09:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

He is right about 4/2 being literally adjacent to PCP5, just down from what was the old Fairmile hospital. There is a link between the two.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 08-Oct-14 23:15:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Are you saying Cab 5 may have FTTC available via 4/2? That's the implication.

In which case, surely the checker for his number (has to be WLR as on Sky Connect) will show he can get it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 07:15:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, that cab 4 has it, and there's a link from 4/2 to 5. The strap between the two was put in when there were major E side problems to cab 5 a fair few years ago.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to