General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Provster
(member) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:34:02
Print Post

Re: New FTTC install - very slow speeds

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, that seems like good news, I maybe can expect to go up to those rates! I'm happy for the thread to be moved to the zen page.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:36:55
Print Post

[re: Provster] [link to this post]

Maybe MrSaffron will move this thread to the right Zen pages

Edited by adslmax (Thu 09-Oct-14 11:37:52)

Standard User Provster
(member) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:39:46
Print Post

@adslmax - Did you get those sync speeds immediately when you first used your connection? Or did you end up with slower speeds and it went up?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:44:15
Print Post

I was about 200m away from FTTC cabinet. Openreach engineer installed my FTTC last February 2014. He using his special tool after replaced a new master socket MK2 fitted and saying my maximum rate was 113 Meg down and 38 Meg up as I was connected capped by the exchange at 79999k/19999k. But the max line rate is now down to 93 Meg down and 34 Meg up because of crosstalk but still sync rate at maximum 80/20.

@ Provster - u can buy unlocked openreach modem HG612 off ebay because u will be able to check full stats. ECI Openreach Modem will be very very difficult to unlock it.

Edited by adslmax (Thu 09-Oct-14 19:43:44)

Standard User Provster
(member) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:55:59
Print Post

Yeah, I had a look at buying one on Ebay, but I don't want to fiddle too much with the connection now, I don't want to risk DLM making me even slower. If it doesn't get resolved soon, I may have to do that to see what's going on. I used to like being able to see all my ADSL line stats, the Openreach modem is more of a black box (that happens to be white...)

I thought it was pretty weird how the engineer didn't even bother to check I actually had a dialtone or had internet before he left, and left me with a fault. Sounds like you had a better deal with your engineer!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:08:47
Print Post

Original poster appears to have been in contact with Zen already, so highlighting to the web team will not likely achieve anything beyond what is already been done.

Only worth shouting and pushing if the telephone support does not progress things. With FTTC as Zen have less control than with ADSL2+ the time frames for fixes can be more annoying, i.e. time it takes for Openreach to action stuff.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:22:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Provster:
Yeah, I had a look at buying one on Ebay, but I don't want to fiddle too much with the connection now, I don't want to risk DLM making me even slower. If it doesn't get resolved soon, I may have to do that to see what's going on. I used to like being able to see all my ADSL line stats, the Openreach modem is more of a black box (that happens to be white...)

I thought it was pretty weird how the engineer didn't even bother to check I actually had a dialtone or had internet before he left, and left me with a fault. Sounds like you had a better deal with your engineer!

I was hit by DLM because it my own fault of swapping modem over too quickly. Kitz have advised me to power down your modem for at least 30 minutes then swap the modem over as anything over 30 minutes power down will not affect DLM. I did test it myself, been power down modem three times of each 30 minutes as the DLM didn't act it next day. I was lucky as DLM had restored me to full sync rate after 2 days.

I was with Plusnet by the way as Plusnet was ever so good.

Edited by adslmax (Thu 09-Oct-14 12:24:50)

Standard User Provster
(member) Thu 09-Oct-14 13:45:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Fair enough Mr Saffron. Zen have been pretty good at dealing with this so far, I was mostly posting to find out the chances of this resolving itself via DLM, and whether other people have had this same problem before.

A fairly disappointingly botched install unfortunately!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 19:42:14
Print Post

@ Provster Here is my first FTTC full stats last February 2014.

http://s5.postimg.org/valxei887/Openreach_Fibre_Mode...

Edited by adslmax (Thu 09-Oct-14 19:42:43)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 09-Oct-14 20:37:44
Print Post

I suggest you unlock your modem or use one that isnt locked at all which will tell you very quickly 3 things.

1 - if its a dsl issue or a isp issue.
2 - if you are DLM'd.
3 - things like attenuation which will be useful here.

without the modem sync data its a complete guessing game.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to