General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Thu 09-Oct-14 14:30:14
Print Post

Upload speeds

[link to this post]

Hi just connected on Sunday to Unlimited BT Infinity 2, was installed Friday but it lost connection an hour later and was not on till Sunday afternoon.

I hoped to get around 15mb uploads but it seem stuck on 5, when will I know the final speeds of my service?

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076284+1425005613
3. Firmware version: v0.07.01.0235-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 02:53:29
6. Data Rate: 5187 / 53023
7. Maximum Data Rate: 5284 / 63899
8. Noise Margin: 6.1 / 6.4
9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 24.5
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 356.9 MB / 2.8 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: No

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm177/ds1962/Scre...

thanks, Rab

P~K

"Some mornings, it's just not worth
chewing through the leather straps."
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 14:59:37
Print Post

Re: Upload speeds

[re: PunKrocker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PunKrocker:
Hi just connected on Sunday to Unlimited BT Infinity 2, was installed Friday but it lost connection an hour later and was not on till Sunday afternoon.

I hoped to get around 15mb uploads but it seem stuck on 5, when will I know the final speeds of my service?
The initial connection is as fast as the DSLAM/modem think the line can handle, right from day one. The only adjustment most people see is downward when it turns out that the initial speed was a bit too high. If your ISP has told you that there's a training period during which the speed will rise they are wrong. I'm not sure of the ratios for FTTC but if your maximum speed is 53Mb/s then an upload of 5Mb/s may be all you can have although I'd have thought 10Mb/s more likely. I'll leave it to others to comment on that based on your stats.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 09-Oct-14 15:01:11)

Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Oct-14 15:52:38
Print Post

Based on the noise margin, that's all you're going to get. May be worth a moan to the ISP though, as the upload is well below the lowest of the predicted speeds.

Sounds to me like there's something wrong with the install, given that you lost connection for so long, for no apparent reason.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Thu 09-Oct-14 15:58:45
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

thanks for the replies.

Regarding the install, when the engineer arrived I told him I wanted the router upstairs ,instead of running an extension he said he would "bounce" if off downstairs (a line runs from main socket to upstairs socket), could this cause the problem?

P~K

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:08:20
Print Post

Depending on how it is wired then yes you could be causing the problem by having modem where it is.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:23:36
Print Post

my folks have their ADSL upstairs based on an extension from the NTE5 so I am glad I read this as they are having fibre installed soon. Cheers for posting and thanks to Andrew and others for confirming
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:26:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

could i swap faceplates to test HH5 in downstairs main socket? or would it required BT to change other mallarky?

P~K

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:31:26
Print Post

If the downstairs is still the master socket then it should work in the test socket, just use a micro filter to do the socket conversion (not using the supplied faceplate helps to rule out that as a faulty component)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:46:33
Print Post

I'm wondering if the engineer used a pair crimped to the incoming downstairs to take the incoming signal directly upstairs to a new master and then used another pair to drop an extension back downstairs to the old master.

If that is the case then the downstairs will no longer be the first socket in the chain and the best that could be done would be to use the test socket in the upstairs.

If the faceplate was removed from upstairs and that removed the dial tone downstairs then that would show this is likely what the engineer did.
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:47:09
Print Post

thanks, will try that

P~K

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to