General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 00:14:02
Print Post

fluorescent lighting are very bad for FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi all, I just been investigated where the ES/CRC Errors are coming from. Hallway lighting, bedroom lighting, living room lighting, bathroom lighting all ok. Kettle boiling doesn't affect nor microwave. Except I finally found out it was caused by the kitchen lighting called fluorescent lighting that will count 2 on ES, 4 on CRC for everytimes switch it on.

I done switch on / off four times and ES went burst of 8 and CRC went burst of 16.

Finally, very interesting how on earth that fluorescent lighting can cause your FTTC errors could leads to DLM if u use the switch on / off more often in the kitchen during the evening.

I better get rid of fluorescent lighting!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-y8J3axzhUMk/T9M_Z5icH5I/AA...

Edited by adslmax (Fri 10-Oct-14 00:27:54)

Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 10-Oct-14 03:52:35
Print Post

Re: fluorescent lighting are very bad for FTTC

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I better get rid of fluorescent lighting!
Easier- once you've turned it on in the evening, don't turn it off until you go to bed.

When you turn a fluorescent light on, the starter and choke combine to generate a high voltage (several kV) spike to "strike" the tube. This is what will be causing the errors and, along with a high current initially supplied to the cathode heaters, is what causes eventual failure of the tube and/or starter.

The cost of replacing these when they fail will quite likely exceed the electricity savings of turning the light off when you don't need it.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 10-Oct-14 08:47:16
Print Post

I can confirm Bill's response to your problems with fluorescent lighting - particularly if switched ON and OFF frequently.

Another clue is that the switch itself often sparks when making and breaking the circuit.

Additionally from research I carried out many years back, this type of lighting can also generate multiple harmonics in the mains wiring compared with other devices, leading to that research work.

Edited by eckiedoo (Fri 10-Oct-14 17:47:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 10:23:31
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

fluorescent lighting stay off all night. And now got this:

Since Link time = 9 hours 19 min 1 sec
FEC: 0 60
CRC: 2 1
ES: 2 1
SES: 0 0
UAS: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0

much better now.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Oct-14 11:04:29
Print Post

I am gradually getting rid of those horrible flourescent (including CFL) lights and replacing with LEDs, the prices are really coming down now and they are so much brighter, cheaper to run and longer-lasting.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 11:31:52
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I am gradually getting rid of those horrible flourescent (including CFL) lights and replacing with LEDs, the prices are really coming down now and they are so much brighter, cheaper to run and longer-lasting.

Problem is my house is belong to council, so I think it not allow to replaced with LED lighting. I shall ask council.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Oct-14 11:37:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Problem is my house is belong to council, so I think it not allow to replaced with LED lighting. I shall ask council.

Who changes the bulbs in your house?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 11:40:07
Print Post

I can change bulbs myself in every room. But kitchen fluorescent lighting cannot be replaced in a single led bulb. Because it a long tubing light.
Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Fri 10-Oct-14 11:40:17
Print Post

Councils are normally happy in allowing it to be changed over from fluorescent tube lights to LED ones to reduce the energy footprint, sadly in some cases you may have to wait a while for them to contract out the work to change the entire fitting, its not just changing of the tubes, it also needs re-wiring as well.
Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Fri 10-Oct-14 11:42:00
Print Post

The BC bulb types can be replaced easily, however the fluorescent tube light which you can have in the kitchen needs a complete new light and fixing fitted.

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 10-Oct-14 11:43:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to