General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Oct-14 22:31:26
Print Post

Using a different telephone socket for FTTC

[link to this post]

I've had FTTC for nearly two years now and although the speed is degrading (from solid 78mb down to 65mb ish) it has been great.

Anyway, I want to have the modem and router in a different place without rewiring everything. The installer used weird connections, but got everything working. What I would like to do is put the internet socket somewhere else.

From the master socket, the wire that that is filtered goes to a patch panel in one of the bedrooms and then out to all the other sockets in the house. Can I just take the unfiltered signal up to the patch panel, direct link it to the extension I want to plug the modem into?

What do I have to use to filter the line before putting it into the other lines in the patch panel?

Is this even going to work?

Thanks for any advice.

Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Oct-14 23:07:17
Print Post

Re: Using a different telephone socket for FTTC

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

You will want to keep the signal separate from the existing extensions at the patch panel

The vdsl faceplate should have connections inside it for a data extension.

Making line longer might slow you down though

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Oct-14 23:43:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. I don't think I"m making myself clear though. I don't really want to run anymore cables.

So right now I have (sorry about the numbers, only way I could get the spacing!):

Text
Outside Line -> BT Faceplate -> Wiring to Patch Panel -> All the other rooms
                                -> Telephone Socket (not used)                                -> VDSL Modem Socket
 What I want is:
 Outside Line -> BT Faceplate -> Unfiltered Wiring to Patch Panel -> Extension with Modem
                                                                                              -> Filter (?) -> rest of Panel

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Oct-14 23:46:08
Print Post

At line 8 you could insert a standard ADSL microfilter

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Oct-14 23:47:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Oh okay, they still work do they? I was unsure. It has been a long time since I had one of those smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Oct-14 23:49:35
Print Post

Yes. For example if you get Infinity 1 which is self-install, it comes with a couple of microfilters.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 07:55:50
Print Post

Morning Boxst

Keep in mind that the lines coming out of Splitters/Filters for VDSL and ADSL are NOT FILTERED, they also still carry the Phone signals as well, because of being Unfiltered.

That applies also to the NTEs and their corresponding outputs.

----------------------

Only the Phone Outputs from these Splitters etc are actually filtered; and that is basically to prevent the VDSL/ADSL signals going down to the Phone, ie they are High Frequency Rejection Filters, rather than Low/Audio Frequency Pass Filters.

HF Rejection Filters are quite small, as demonstrated by the general size of such Splitters and NTEs.

-----------------

If 1) is exactly as stated, you should already be able to operate the Modem in "All the other rooms" whether you plug a Splitter in or not.

So you apparently already have what you want to achieve, in every room!

--------------------

If you want to use a Phone in any/all of the other rooms, then you have two choices-

a) Also have a Splitter with each active/plugged-in Phone

or

b1) Move the remaining "other room" lines at the Patch Panel end, in to your Item 2, Telephone Socket, on the assumption that it is already filtered.

If it is NOT filtered, then add a Splitter in, only one should be necessary, covering all of those "remaining other room" extensions..

b2) Could also be achieved by running (if needed) a separate cable from the BT Faceplate to the "remaining other rooms" connections on the Patch Panel.

The important thing to remember is that VDSL/ADSL connections ARE NOT FILTERED.

Edited by eckiedoo (Sun 12-Oct-14 10:21:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Oct-14 10:28:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

They even work for G.FAST as saw one working this week

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Oct-14 11:03:55
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Thank you. 1 is as described, but he installed some weird crimped cables to take the (filtered) signal to the patch panel. I put on here at the time that the guy didn't really know what he was doing and even said at some stage "you don't need phones in any other rooms do you?". But it works .... although he didn't follow colour standards etc..

Picture from after he'd gone: http://www.sadandlonely.com/btfttc.JPG
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Oct-14 11:24:11
Print Post

They don't appear to be twisted-pair. Was he an electrician?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to