General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chester4
(newbie) Mon 13-Oct-14 15:54:04
Print Post

Exchange to Re-Sync ?

[link to this post]

I've had an ongoing external fibre line fault. Today a BT Openreach guy, finally resolved the issue, by 'moving me onto a new line' and giving that line a new port ? On leaving, my Openreach modem is now giving me 3 solid green lights, although my EE Brightbox 1 router is still slow flashing the internet connection light. He said the exchange would resync the line, and all should be ok in about an hour, that was 4 hours ago frown Should I be concerned at this stage ?
Many Thanks.

Freeserve>Wanadoo>Orange>EE. 1999> The Mumbai Posse Go "Boomshakalak!"
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Oct-14 16:55:29
Print Post

Re: Exchange to Re-Sync ?

[re: chester4] [link to this post]

So long as the engineer reported what he did and gave control the correct port, then the remote people will then reconfigure the mapping of the port to connect you to the correct provider.

4 hours seems a tad longer, would expect 1 to 2 hours or quicker. Time to get ISP to chase from their end.

In geek terms, it was a lift and shift at the fibre cabinet to resolve a dead port on a line card is how I would describe it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Oct-14 18:24:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

it was a lift and shift at the fibre cabinet to resolve a dead port on a line card is how I would describe it.

Yes, 'cept that during the lift and shift, the new port is allocated and proved by the 'help desk' so
So long as the engineer reported what he did and gave control the correct port, then the remote people will then reconfigure the mapping of the port to connect you to the correct provider.

Seems incorrect. The port should be live and have been demonstrated as working by the engineer before he left site.

It's either the wrong port, or more likely the new port has been incorrectly built for the OP's circuit. Also there is intermittent issues where in some areas (Godalming being the one I know of) the software that builds the new port doesn't work correctly, and the new one won't make PPP. The last option is that what ever was wrong with the original port has just been copied and pasted on to the new one.

To the OP, just a thought, EE haven't sent you a new router to try during all this have they ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Oct-14 18:32:49
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Ta - makes sense.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chester4
(newbie) Mon 13-Oct-14 20:10:13
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

No new router, but another BT engineer to attend tomorrow afternoon (if he turns up) So far i've had 2 turn ups, and 9 no shows . . . The longer this pantomime goes on, the less confidence I have in any of them. Todays BT guy told me some almost unbelievable tales about the real state of the network, and the bodge it & scarper culture that runs from top to bottom of the organisation.

Freeserve>Wanadoo>Orange>EE. 1999> The Mumbai Posse Go "Boomshakalak!"
  Print Thread

Jump to