General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User adpegg01
(newbie) Wed 15-Oct-14 10:06:27
Print Post

Fibre Broadband wireless routers

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have fibre broadband which was supplied with a wireless router which does not have sufficient range to give a good signal throughout our house. What would you recommend as a replacement fibre broadband router with a good wireless range. I don't really want to spend more than £50 unless this is really necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:56:18
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband wireless routers

[re: adpegg01] [link to this post]

Big question is do you want the modem/router all in one box, or are you planning to continue to use the white Openreach modem.

If using the white modem then:

Within £50 budget it is really TP-Link
TP-Link for £40 Offers dual-band and should be fine for FTTC type speeds, though would normally suggest the WDR4300 or the Archer units but you are heading more towards Asus pricing. Asus has a much better GUI on the router.

A popular choice at £95 is the Asus RT-N66U runs Asus firmware, or a variety of DD-WRT versions to let you do more stuff with the router. If white hardware is your preference there is a £5 cheaper version on Amazon.

Latest AC Wireless for £120 in Asus RT-AC66U

A little more speed and USB 3.0 device support for £155 Asus RT-AC68U

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 00:04:49
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband wireless routers

[re: adpegg01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adpegg01:
Hi,

I have fibre broadband which was supplied with a wireless router which does not have sufficient range to give a good signal throughout our house. What would you recommend as a replacement fibre broadband router with a good wireless range. I don't really want to spend more than £50 unless this is really necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help

If you have any old WiFi router you can configure them to add extra signal in other parts of your house (Plenty of how to configure them on the internet).
Get them free off 'Freecycle'
I use three old Netgear DG834GT and a Lynsys one in different location's

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to