General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Provster
(member) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:08:16
Print Post

What are these strange white poles?

[link to this post]

I have noticed that next to a Fibre cabinet & PCP down the street, there seems to be a giant white pole. Is this some kind of Microwave receiver/transmitter? There seems to be an extra white box next to it too. At street level there seems to be a PCP, a ECI fibre cabinent, an unidentified white cabinet and an unidentified giant white pole.

http://i59.tinypic.com/w88c48.png
http://i58.tinypic.com/20trp1s.png

Also, down the street, there seem to be two large green boxes that look like PCPs to the left of another large white pole with a bulge at the top. There doesn't seem to be an ECI or Huawei cabinet next to these though.

http://i57.tinypic.com/29etc2o.png

What are these poles? My cabinet doesn't have any of these next to them, but 2 in my area do. I'm just wondering if my FTTC cabinet is fed by some kind of crazy wireless system, but my pings and download speed seem great.

I'm on the outskirts of a major UK town, so I'm not out in the sticks. Those poles are at the top of a large hill which makes me wonder.. are they maybe just mobile phone masts, perhaps 4G that link in with the Openreach architecture?

I haven't been to look at them up close, but they don't seem to have any visible markings. I can take better pictures if needed.
Standard User fibreplease
(learned) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:16:28
Print Post

Re: What are these strange white poles?

[re: Provster] [link to this post]

Small cell tower?

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet
Standard User Provster
(member) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:28:34
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

That's what I was thinking. Right next to Openreach fibre infrastructure would surely be an ideal place to stick a 4G mast.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:33:14
Print Post

If slightly taller than a lamp-post with a bulge on top, its a cell 'phone base station mast.

If it's a microwave link, then the top of the pole will have a small dish at the top, either like a very small Sky dish or a white enclosed circular dish.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.

Edited by G3UZF (Wed 15-Oct-14 11:34:53)

Standard User Provster
(member) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:36:20
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

They are maybe 20-30% taller than the lamp posts. Neither have dishes. So I guess it's a cellphone mast.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:42:33
Print Post

As others say Cellular Base Stations.

Have a look at http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search which may confirm it as the detail is not always up to date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Provster
(member) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:54:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks! The poles appear exactly on the map and apparently one is a 14.25 meter O2 UMTS Macrocell, and the other is a combined Orange/Vodafone macrocell.
Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 00:36:23
Print Post

Phone masts.
Standard User shinerweb
(regular) Thu 16-Oct-14 04:21:40
Print Post

Weirdly enough, BT via another 'company' bought up some 4G licence space despite not having any other mobile air space.
Said company intends to 'rent' 4G air space to the other providers and anyone else who wants to use it. (Look up Niche Spectrum Ventures Ltd)

I'd bet my bottom $ that these are new 4G masts... (well that and the fact I'm an ex-Motorola Base Station Systems Test & Development Engineer)

Makes you wonder why BTOR spent all that money putting fibre connections in places you wouldn't think would warrant it.
Or for those really cynical people out there, could also explain the use of BDUK money in certain areas where you have a shiny new green cabinet with the bare minimum of populated boards, a few (96) lucky subscribers with a list of those waiting (for extra cards), yet all of a sudden, a 4G signal pops up on their phones.
"Oh look, theres a nice shiny new Fibre pipe. Wouldn't it be great if we could hang a 4G mast off that said pipe?"

If you look up the directors of the company that bid on the extra 4G licences, I'd be surprised if you didn't see a few ex-MP's and a bunch of (ex>) BTOR staff...

My a cynic ? Nah, never...

Standard User Provster
(member) Thu 16-Oct-14 12:14:41
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

Interesting theory! I just thought it was odd how they were all right next to BTOR FTTC cabinets
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to