General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Sat 18-Oct-14 16:35:08
Print Post

Frustration.

[link to this post]

I thought it was bad that a neighbour about 300m away had an infinity estimate of 16mb and I couldn't get anything other than my 0.5mb. I was messing about on the address checker and now find that the odd number houses on the other side of the road from me can get 11.3mb! I could even proceed with an online order.

Puzzled by this, I realised that the odd number houses are a different postcode from the even ones. The neighbour who uses the next pole down from mine can order faster internet but i'm just banging my head against a brick wall talking to any provider.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 18-Oct-14 16:44:22
Print Post

Re: Frustration.

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

Other side of the road and where does the cable cross the road to reach you?

Sounds likely it crosses further from the cabinet then heads back towards you. Also estimates are a range what range is actually given?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 18-Oct-14 17:10:04
Print Post

Are they on the same cabinet?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.2/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Sat 18-Oct-14 17:15:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We are supplied from the same cabinet via overhead cables. The cable comes up the road via poles where the line then goes to the houses. The line even comes up my side of the road and crosses over to his house.

I'm currently with talktalk and, as I was already frustrated, didn't fancy a talk with the nice people in India. I spoke to BT sales were a nice young 'geezer innit' said he couldn't really look into that as I wasn't with BT but he could hook me up with standard broadband and I could contact support after that.

The estimates given were 11.3/6.1 and 8.8/4.3 impacted.

I'm not expecting miracles but even if I was getting 4-5mb it would be a massive improvement over my 0.5mb currently
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 18:31:23
Print Post

Could be worse. A road near where I used to live has the odd numbers on a different exchange. The even numbers have had fibre available for over 2.5 years, the odd numbers have to wait until sometime next year.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sun 19-Oct-14 00:25:04
Print Post

Contact your local BDUK scheme and ask them about it. Though the cabinet may have been upgraded commercially if you can't be supplied and perhaps it's simply a mistake by OR which Talk Talk or BT Retail can't investigate then hopefully they can get the ball rolling. If not they could tell you where you fit in with the roll out plans (if at all)

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Sun 19-Oct-14 02:01:56
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I'm in Northern Ireland so no BDUK to contact. I've emailed the faster broadband ni enquiry team at BT but it can be very hit and miss whether anyone actually answers.

I'll keep my fingers crossed it's just a slip up and the postcode should have been added in.
  Print Thread

Jump to