General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lambrettaday
(learned) Mon 20-Oct-14 16:47:52
Print Post

How easy to go back?

[link to this post]

I have a pensioner friend who is on FTTC (cost is the main problem) but used to be on ADSL2+ LLU. If he wanted to ditch FTTC and go back to ADSL2+ how easy would that be? I'm not too versed in FTTC so hope somebody can answer my question.

TIA.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Oct-14 16:57:51
Print Post

Re: How easy to go back?

[re: Lambrettaday] [link to this post]

It is a migration so all depends on which provider and how well they manage the move. Work wise it is effectively undoing what was done at the street cabinet and tying this in with connecting to the right ADSL2+ hardware at the exchange.

As with any migration there can be mistakes and this is one that probably has a higher failure rate as its not that common.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Mon 20-Oct-14 17:00:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. So you wouldn't recommend him trying to get back to ADSL2+?

TIA.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Oct-14 07:00:34
Print Post

Depends if he's also still in the contracted period, which is often 18 months.

(learned) Tue 21-Oct-14 07:44:31
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

He's got two and a half months left of his contract with BT and would like to go back to ADSL2+ but seems he might not be able to.
Standard User pidder
(newbie) Tue 21-Oct-14 08:08:58
Print Post

I've just moved from BT FTTC to Sky adsl - phone and broadband. Two hours down-time, everything went swimmingly.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Oct-14 08:58:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lambrettaday:
He's got two and a half months left of his contract with BT and would like to go back to ADSL2+ but seems he might not be able to.

I would say it can be done. But there is a higher risk that it won't be hassle free and that some chasing might be required before it all gets back to being operational. There is also a good chance that all will be fine. Luck of the draw.

If he doesn't want hassle then stay with fibre. If he has a particular driver (ie cost) and is willing to risk having to do a bit of legwork if something goes wrong then go for the downgrade.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Oct-14 09:02:45
Print Post

If money is the driver and as others have said they are willing to take the hour or two of downtime, just be warned there is a risk of it going wrong.

Some providers may offer a contract extension for a reduction in the cost of the service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Tue 21-Oct-14 09:04:07
Print Post

[re: pidder] [link to this post]

That sounds good but I don't think he's planning on Sky. He wanted to find out if it was possible before deciding on where to move to. Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on and let you know what he decides.
(learned) Tue 21-Oct-14 09:07:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Think money is tight so he won't mind taking a risk. I'm sure he won't mind a few hours downtime but he doesn't get out much so his internet is important. If his connection was going to be down for days or even weeks then I'm sure he might have to think again.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to