General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User boxrick
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Oct-14 00:19:19
Print Post

Help me figure out why I can't get fibre, or can I ?

[link to this post]

I am currently living in a properly where according to my postcode I cannot get fibre and my telephone number is not on the BT checker. Yet a postcode literally right next to my apartment can get it.

M4 1PP, 3 joiner street apparently cant get it yet M4 1PE 25 church street can get the full speed bt infinity of 80/20. The cabinet itself is around 50 metres from the building I reside in and there is a big fat sticker on it saying "superfast fibre broadband available" since around the start of this year.

Is there any chance someone with the ability to do a more specific check or an ISP may be able to give me a hand?

I had ADSL 2+ enabled and my phoneline renabled around 2 weeks ago and am currently getting 15 down and 1mbit up.

---------
laughMetro net 1mbit ADSLlaugh

---------
Newish comp laugh
DFI Ultra-D Nforce 4 motherboard
a64 x2 4400+ Toledo 2.2ghz @ 2.8 ghz
7800GTX 256mb
1.5 GB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 DDR RAM
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Oct-14 01:06:54
Print Post

Re: Help me figure out why I can't get fibre, or can I ?

[re: boxrick] [link to this post]

3 JOINER STREET, M4 1PP is on cab 81 which is not FTTC enabled
25 CHURCH STREET, M4 1PE is on cab 25 which is FTTC enabled.
Standard User boxrick
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Oct-14 14:04:28
Print Post

Thanks for the response, is there any way of getting moved from one cab to another or is it simply as it is?

Seems odd to be on a cab much further away!

---------

---------
Newish comp laugh
7800GTX 256mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Oct-14 14:09:32
Print Post

Wave a wad of cash and a large one with several zero's attached and it might be possible.

No need for telephone to have people connected to their nearest cabinet and no obligation to provider FTTC either.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TMCR
(member) Tue 21-Oct-14 14:22:26
Print Post

Not odd, just how things happened over the years when all you had was a phone connected. I live in a house built in the 1910's, my BT line is connected to a cab about 2Km away. Since that was installed there have been many more houses built in-between me and that cabinet, and new cabinets put in to feed those properties. My line is still connected to the old cab and there's no chance of getting it moved I'm told as it's part of a multiple pair cable that goes to a specific pole and DP (distribution point) near my home. Dafter still, the small exchange that we're on is halfway between the cab and my home.
I realised how problematic the crackly old line was many years ago and changed provider to Ionica when they were operating, sadly long since gone, and from them to Bradford Cable, which has since become Virgin. Although I'm now using cable Internet, my original move was to use a modem over a phone line in the days of a 56k max.
I've had offers through the door for various ISP's suggesting I would get 'up to' 17Mbps but that the service would have to be installed before they could be certain. I'm certain that using the old copper would give me much less than that.

Virgin Cable (50/3)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Oct-14 14:39:35
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In your case all depends on how accurate the about 2km is.

If its 1500m then 15 to 20 is in the better range you might get, if its 2500 might be down to 5 Mbps.

Old copper as long as its twisted pair old copper should be fine, only issue might be joints if on overhead. In fact some older copper is thicker and better for xDSL use than the newer stuff.

Openreach could invest in an even larger rearrangement programme to reduce line lengths, but doubt the return in terms of speed once averaged out across country would be worthwhile. A very small amount does get done via the projects but rare and tends to be a case of putting on old EO line back onto a cabinet when its the only EO line in a village.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TMCR
(member) Tue 21-Oct-14 15:31:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I can't remember where I found it but there was a checker of some sort that told me the distance from the cabinet to my home, and that was something like 2681 metres. The cabinet is physically 2 km away as the crow flies, but then there's the twists and turns of underground and overground wiring to consider.

Back in the 90's, when we swapped to Ionica, the BT line was terrible and I had loads of disconnections using a 33.6 modem, when we changed I got a brilliant connection every time. I've tended to disregard the old BT line ever since then. It's still to the house, but not being used.

Virgin Cable (50/3)
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Oct-14 15:57:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Openreach could invest in an even larger rearrangement programme to reduce line lengths, but doubt the return in terms of speed once averaged out across country would be worthwhile.

Better to spend money on Fibre to the curb and g.fast
Standard User boxrick
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Oct-14 10:54:21
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Interestingly enough I am in an apartment and the other side of exactly the same building some places seem to be served by cabinet 25.

For example:

Address 7TH FLOOR, 20 CHURCH ST, MANCHESTER, M4 1PN on Exchange BLACKFRIARS is served by Cabinet 25

20 Church street is simply the other postage address to the "apart hotels" which are located in exactly the same building.

Does this potentially change things at all?

---------

---------
Newish comp laugh
7800GTX 256mb
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Oct-14 11:28:30
Print Post

Apartment blocks may have several utility risers and so one side can be served from a different area to another, and also the vertical distance will have an impact on VDSL2 speeds.

To figure it out needs someone to sit down and plot every address/flat in the block and co-relate that with the cabinet locations outside the block.

Print Thread

Jump to