General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tipperg
(newbie) Tue 21-Oct-14 15:13:09
Print Post

Cab is FTTC enabled but some still stuck with ADSL - why?

[link to this post]

I suspect that this problem may not be unusual but I can’t find an exact match on the forums so am hoping someone can suggest what is going on here.
My local exchange in Kent, Sutton Valence, was recently enabled for fibre broadband. The updated Openreach checker shows Accepting Order for my postcode but both the BT & Sky checkers still show only ADSL @ 2Mb max as available.
The BT Wholesale site tells me that I am connected to Cabinet 6 – it is less that one hundred yards from my house – but shows that FTTC is not available to my address.
I know that a friend a few houses down the road is getting her BT broadband upgraded and a BT Wholesale check on her address shows that she is also connected to cabinet 6 but with FTTC available.
I have checked a random selection of other houses in my road and some are enabled for FTTC and some not. This is not related to their proximity to the cabinet – one will have FTTC, the next door address will not, and the next one will.
All the houses have overhead cables to the premises.
So what is going on? I suspect that an engineer has downed tools and not finished enabling all the cabinet connections but maybe there is a capacity or other more fundamental issue.
Can anyone suggest an explanation?
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Oct-14 15:21:02
Print Post

Re: Cab is FTTC enabled but some still stuck with ADSL - why

[re: tipperg] [link to this post]

No hooking up for individual connections is done until you order the service.

The issue may be that there are two bundles of phone wires going down the street, one takes a short route and the other a longer route and thus the distance means you are considered outside the range at which VDSL will work.

The retail providers (BT in particular) filter to only show Infinity for those with an estimate above 15 Mbps. Given time and address details it might be possible to spot the pattern, but if one set are predicted 60 Mbps and the others get nothing more likely a database issue, if the predicted is in the 15 to 20 Mbps, then a line length issue being the reason is a lot more likely.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Oct-14 15:51:37
Print Post

Using 3 different chckers with the postcodes can and will cause problems.

What does https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html give you ?

can give us the clean and impacted figures, please. And also if you can, input one of the neighbours's phone number who can actually get fibre ! That way will we can start to work out whats going on and if its a DB issue or a line length issue!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tipperg
(newbie) Tue 21-Oct-14 16:00:55
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Sure. linkBT Wholesale output

Bosky House is my neighbour who has FTTC and Burrcott is my place that doesn't.

Many thanks for your assistance
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Oct-14 17:38:56
Print Post

how did you input that data. using a phone number or the post code ?
Standard User tipperg
(newbie) Tue 21-Oct-14 18:03:47
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Using the addresses and postcodes. I don't have a BT number.
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Tue 21-Oct-14 23:55:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Feel for you, I've a similar issue where the odd numbered houses on my road are a different postcode and can order faster broadband, whereas the even numbers can't. All supplied from the same overhead line.
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Wed 22-Oct-14 00:56:47
Print Post

I would say that's a database issue, If it isn't..... damn.

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
VirginMedia
FTTC Coming Soon - SDCRWLY Cabinet 70 @ 0.2-0.3km
Standard User tipperg
(newbie) Wed 22-Oct-14 08:46:18
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Thanks to everyone for their input on this.
If it is a database issue, does anyone know of a communication route to BT/Openreach to alert them to this?
  Print Thread

Jump to