General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User soapysoutar
(learned) Sat 25-Oct-14 10:56:11
Print Post

Finally coming to my village

[link to this post]

Openreach are starting to install fibre cabinets on our village. From what I can see there are 3 existing cabinets, and last week on the roadworksscotland website it was showing that Openreach had planned work at all 3 cabinets. Now the site only shows planned works at 2 cabinets, with the cabinet I think I am connected to missing. My cabinet is about 200m along the road from one of the others, so my question is can one new fibre cabinet be installed to give FTTC to 2 existing cabinets?

Im just assuming that the roadworksscotland website is not too accurate and that all 3 cabinets in the village will be upgraded, but I just worry that mine will be missed out for some reason.
Standard User FredTheB
(learned) Sat 25-Oct-14 11:52:29
Print Post

Re: Finally coming to my village

[re: soapysoutar] [link to this post]

If you can give me your postcode, I can check for you
(learned) Sat 25-Oct-14 13:01:28
Print Post

Re: Finally coming to my village *DELETED*

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

Post deleted by soapysoutar

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 25-Oct-14 14:54:43
Print Post

each cab will need its own DSLAM so if only 2 are being done -- then one will not be done
(learned) Sat 13-Dec-14 12:57:49
Print Post

Just to update, a new cabinet was installed next to my cabinet on 28th November. Fibre went live for me yesterday, 12th December 2 weeks after cabinet installation. I have now ordered fibre smile
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Dec-14 17:20:38
Print Post

welcome to the FTTC lane smile

IanD
(learned) Wed 07-Jan-15 20:23:52
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Fibre was switched on today; I went for the Sky 40/10 package. I was toying with going with the Pro 80/20 package instead, but I wasnt sure if I would be able to get the top speeds or not so thought I would just get the 40/10 and upgrade later if needed and possible. My initial line stats from the Sky Hub are

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 39998 kbps 9999 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.6 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 24.4 dB 28.28 dB

With these figures, does it look like Id be able to get 80/20 at some time in the future?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Jan-15 20:44:00
Print Post

Three ways I have of looking at your figures:

a) Attenuation figures of around 15-16dB seem to get speeds in the region of 60-75Mbps

b) You have a noise margin of 24dB, which is around 18dB more than needed. For lines using the full set of tones, 3dB of margin seems to be able to give an extra 10-11 Mbps. If that were accurate, you'd have room for an extra 60mbps on top of the 40.

c) My old line had an attenuation of around 13.5dB. When first installed, it showed an attainable speed of around 90Mbps; as take-up increased, the attainable gradually dropped through the 80's to 78, over the course of 2 years. When DLM intervened, that dropped a further 6Mbps.

Take your pick of comparisons... but it looks like you'd have a top speed of around 80Mbps, when fewer surrounding properties have subscribed, possibly heading down to around 60Mbps when suffering higher crosstalk levels.
(learned) Wed 07-Jan-15 20:54:13
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the explanation.

I have a feeling I'll have no real need for the extra speed in the near future, so maybe in 6 months or so once uptake has increased, I can have a look at my line stats again and see what my options will be then.
  Print Thread

Jump to