General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User s_h
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Oct-14 12:23:56
Print Post

Fibre installation connection to router

[link to this post]

Could someone clarify please, as I'm not quite clear from the various threads I've been reading. I have an engineer booked to install a fibre connection on a line currently using ADSL.

The BT master socket in this house has an adjacent power socket, and it would be a simple installation to site the new Openreach VDSL modem next to the master socket, however this would be a poor arrangement in respect of the router, as the master socket is on a back wall in a downstairs spare room, which is normally closed and unused; it is not a good spot for a router in respect of wireless reception to the rest of the house.

To site the OR modem adjacent to a power socket in a better position, would mean the data extension lead would have to go into the next room - i.e. along the skirting and through the foot of the door frame. Unless it goes through the door frame (not possible through the wall at that point) the door could not be closed. It would then need to go up and around another door, and along a bit more skirting, I reckon around 10 metres at most by this route, from the master socket to this position.

I'm not clear whether channelling a data extension lead through the corner of a door frame is an option for the engineer, would this be up to the individual who calls or would it be ruled out as an option.

Alternatively is it a better idea to use a long CAT 5e cable between the OR modem and the router, and channel this through the door frame. If I need to restrict the size of the hole drilled to the size of the cable and not the size of the RJ45 connector, I assume I would have to buy a crimper tool to fix a connector to the cut end of the cable, as detailed here for instance. In this case if I wanted to fix a small junction box instead, on the end, with a socket for an RJ45 connection, what component part am I looking for and is it easy to do?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 26-Oct-14 12:45:23
Print Post

Re: Fibre installation connection to router

[re: s_h] [link to this post]

Install the modem at the master socket.

Install a standard electrical back box with a modular face plate and and RJ45 socket close by. Run Cat5e from there to where you want the router and install another back box and RJ45 socket there. Punch down the IDC connections - easier and cheaper than crimping. And holes drilled trough walls will only be around 6mm diameter making sure you use infrastructure cable with solid conductors.

From the installed RJ45 socket to the modem and router use a short patch cable.

Can be done in under an hour with drilling the holes and running the cable taking the longest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User s_h
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Oct-14 13:29:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks MHC, can you clarify re: infrastructure cable with solid conductors, this for instance:
Cat 5e Network Cable Foil-Shielded Solid 1m (priced per metre) | Maplin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 26-Oct-14 13:42:48
Print Post

That will work - although the shielding is un-neccessary for most domestic environments along with the short run and being limited to 100Mbps.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/cat-5e-utp-network-cable-s... is normally fine and you don't have to worry about te foil.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 26-Oct-14 13:57:56
Print Post

And there are place a lot cheaper than Maplin too. The one I linked to at 99p ... I normally pay around 17p/metre for that ...

How much do you actually need? And also think if you might want to run a couple of wired connections elsewhere in the house direct from te router. Even, Screwfix do a 50m roll for £21 so around 42p/metre, electrical wholesalers can be even less.

Which boxes and sockets? Again electrical wholesalers can be good value.

M H C

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Oct-14 15:33:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Also S_h has the option of using homeplug - no cabling required
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Oct-14 16:08:04
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

You need top end ones with FTTC though, assuming a high'ish sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User s_h
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Oct-14 16:34:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Do you mean something like the ones reviewed here: thinkbroadband :: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit Review
These have come down a lot in price since reviewed in April 2012.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Oct-14 16:57:40
Print Post

That's the level I see generally recommended on here, and Devolo have always had a good reputation. They are what I would buy if I went for Homeplugs. There are many posters on these forums finding 200Mbps level don't cope with the full 80Mbps. As you can see from the tables in that review.

I've never noticed before that one unit there has three LAN ports. Fine if you need three at one place, but depending on what you will be doing a three or four single-port package may be more useful.

Good luck with the fibre smile. What estimate do you get from this checker? (Assuming you aren't on an LLU phone at the moment). Use the address option if you are, but not the pure postcode one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 27-Oct-14 17:08:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Power line adapters are now becoming fast enough. These are 1000 Mbps http://www.ebuyer.com/662823-zyxel-pla5206-1000mbps-...

But I would still use CAT5 between the modem and router instead.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 27-Oct-14 17:09:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to