General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Avazene
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:20:36
Print Post

Being messed around - Can I get Fibre or not?!

[link to this post]

Okay.
I've been messed around with a lot from BT (you can probably find my posts). EE live support tell me that in fact despite what the checker says, I only have to ring up the upgrades department, tell them I want fibre and it will automagically be faster.

But they have then gone on to said that my max fibre speed will be 35.7Mb/s. Why? I get max ADSL2+ speeds already (with overhead) so why can't they give my 76Mb/s, I'm a street away from the exchange fgs!

and in this chat log you'll find them saying I get fibre in my area:

Max: Hi there, my name is Max. Welcome to EE!! No other network is bigger, faster and more reliable.How can I help you with your order today?
Mike: hello
Mike: Everyone on my street has fibre but fibre is not available in my "area"
Max: Hi Mike
Max: Oh I see.
Max: Let me check if EE has Fibre in your area.
Max: Kindly provide me with your complete address, Landline, and post code to check the availability, cost, and speed you will receive in your area
Mike: Also it says my ADSL speed maximum is 9Mb/s when I currently get 21Mb/s

Max: Thanks for the details.
Max: Please give me a moment while I find this information for you
Max: Thanks for waiting.
Max: Mike, we have Fibre broadband in your area.
Max: You will get maximum speed upto 35.6Mb/sec on Fibre broadband.
Mike: Then why does it say that I can't get it when i check it?
Mike: like when i use the thing on every website it says you can't
Mike: Also I should get more than 35.6Mb/s since I'm a street away from the exchange, I already get max ADSL speeds
Max: In this case you will need to arrange Fibre broadband by calling our Upgrades team who can help you on this.
Max: As I've checked from my end it's available in your area.
Mike: do they need an engineer visit?
Max: No there is no engineer visit requires. Once you place the order EE will take care of everything.
Max: Shall I help you with our Upgrades team contact number?
Mike: Sure
Max: Excellent
Mike: So when I order through upgrades, my internet speed just goes up?
Mike: on its own?
Max: You can call on 08448738586 or call on ***** from your mobile they would be in right position to help you on this.
Max: There will be new connection. You will get a new Bright Box 2 router which works on Fibre broadband.
Mike: i currently have one i think
Max: The connection will be through Fibre optic cables and not from the normal cable.
Mike: Is there a way to copy this chat log
Max: Yes once you end this chat conversation you will get an option to save this chat transcript on your email address.
Mike: Alright thank you very much
Max: Excellent

Who do I believe? Shall I go through the hassle of it?

Edited by Avazene (Tue 28-Oct-14 21:31:25)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:27:21
Print Post

Re: Being messed around - Can I get Fibre or not?!

[re: Avazene] [link to this post]

Looking at www.dslchecker.bt.com the phone number checker says you're on an exchange-only line so no FTTC, but the address checker says you're on cab 86 with an estimated speed of 51.6Mbps.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:28:58
Print Post

First it might be a good idea to go back and edit your post and delete your full address and phone number.

Using the BT Wholesale checker shows that your line is what is known as an EO line, that is it goes directly to the exchange rather than via a "cab" or PCP. This means that you are unable to get FTTC although this might change if, perhaps using BDUK funding, a cab together with a fibre twin is placed outside the exchange and your line moved to that cab. Until that happens, you're "stuck" with 21Mbps (oh that I should be so lucky, my EO line is over 2Km).

Many of your neighbours do not have EO lines but instead are connected to the Scarborough exchange via cab 86 which is why they can get FTTC but not yourself.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:29:14
Print Post

You might want to remove your street address and phone number from that post.

If you're that close to the exchange it may be an EO (Exchange only) line, ie your line goes direct to the exchange, hence no cabinet hence no FTTC.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Avazene
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:35:25
Print Post

So the opposite side of my street, which is on the same telephone pole is connected to the cabinet, yet mine is an EO line?

Seems a bit weird to put further away people, on the same tele pole on a different route
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:39:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

How do you work that out?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Avazene
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:43:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
How do you work that out?

You told me my line is an EO line.
Oppose me on the same street they have fibre, connected to the same telephone pole as me (I can take pictures of the setup if you really would like)
The exchange is from me: Cross road, go past the opposite houses and walk a street,you're at the exchange. (i.e they're closer)

Where can you check on BDUK plans for EO lines in a location

Edited by Avazene (Tue 28-Oct-14 21:50:14)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:50:03
Print Post

Not quite. I said your phone number says you have an eo line, but your address says you're connected to cab 86. Possibly a database error.

Standard User Avazene
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:51:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Not quite. I said your phone number says you have an eo line, but your address says you're connected to cab 86. Possibly a database error.

Hmmm..

This was ever since BT switched our phone number (for no reason, lied about fibre then said we can't get it - possibly due to database error but when I said it could be an error they ignored me, saying they'd probably know better)

On our old number, they said on checkers we could get the max speed of ADSL2+ but not fibre yet.

On our new number, they say on checkers we can only get 9Mb/s.. no Fibre.

How would I go about getting the database checked?

Edited by Avazene (Tue 28-Oct-14 21:52:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:54:00
Print Post

If you go through the order process, the worst that can happen is you end up not able to get FTTC. No harm done, so long as you go into it with that prospect at the front of your mind and don't get too upset if it happens.

You may or may not get everything looking OK right up to the "live date", when an engineer goes to the cabinet to connect you and says "No way".

From what others have said, the EE adviser is wrong, and you will be disappointed.

Is there a possibility your house was originally a "Show House" on a new estate? Or maybe built where the site office was while the rest were built?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to