General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeekOfBroadband
(newbie) Thu 30-Oct-14 17:32:20
Print Post

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra, with or without Pro addon?

[link to this post]

What do you guys think would be better, getting Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre Extra (76Mb/s down and 19Mb/s up) with the Pro add on which makes it like BT Infinity 2 or getting it without the Pro add on making things prioritized so gaming and VOIP calls dont lag while you download large files?

Also If anyone knows, would my line reset (Wait 10 days for line stabilisation) if I moved from BT Infinity to Plusnet?
Thanks

Edited by GeekOfBroadband (Thu 30-Oct-14 17:37:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Oct-14 17:55:43
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra, with or without Pro addon

[re: GeekOfBroadband] [link to this post]

If want minimal playing with traffic priority so that your large downloads can cause video buffering then feel free to buy the pro addition. Pro is really not needed and only exists I feel for those on older legacy products.

As for the 10 day stabilisation period, it does not exist. All FTTC lines start as fast as possible and will decrease or increase speed and interleaving based on recent line and error history, a general guide is that after two days you have normally settled into the rough speed area you should normally run at.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Oct-14 22:35:22
Print Post

As MrSaffron says. Pro is not recommended, (as in "is discouraged") for the current products, though I have seen a couple of people with problem connections where it has seemed to help, but not normally.

In any case it does not form part of your minimum term. You can turn it on and off yourself, in monthly chunks. Best to start without, (cheaper), and if you have a problem try it with for a month and see if it solves it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Oct-14 22:35:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shinerweb
(regular) Fri 31-Oct-14 05:22:17
Print Post

I used to have the Pro addon when I when I was on ADSL and kept it when I transferred over to FTTC just out of sheer paranoia. After about 6 months having followed a couple of threads on here, I thought lets switch it off and see if there is any difference...
Can't say I have spotted a single difference with it off. Still hammer my connection just as hard, it has never effected online gameplay. Excellent ping times at all times. I've got 3 kids who will often be using Netflix/Spotify/Skype/Gaming whilst I'm trying to play Battlefield. Doesn't matter how hard I try to max my connection, I just can't spot any performance issues for the things that matter (which would be Battlefield, Skype, then all else !!)

Now I did have it when on ADSL because my line length/quality to the exchange was against me and I averaged around 2-3meg down, 200-300k up. That was probably helped by the pro-addon.
Given that I'm around 100-200M away from the new cabinet, that part of my line behaves pretty well and I now have so much 'capacity', any effect from the Pro Addon is lost in the ether..

As someone else has said, start without it and see how you get on, if you suspect bad performance, take a whole series of stats for a basemark, switch it on and see if you have any improvement.

Trust me, if I thought I got a single bit difference I'd been keeping it on after the ADSL connection I had but now I'm saving myself a £5 a month and couldn't tell you any downside performance wise..

Print Thread

Jump to