General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Thu 30-Oct-14 19:27:56
Print Post

Do Openreach lay fibre at night?

[link to this post]

Just popped down to the shop and noticed at least 6 or 7 white vans, 2 of them with huge reels of what I'm hoping is fibre on the back setting up traffic lights and pulling up man holes along a busy stretch of road that runs past my newly installed fibre cab and going almost all the way to the exchange.

There's nothing about roadworks on roadworks.org or our local council traffic works website about it. Could this be Openreach or their contractors running fibre from the exchange to my cab??

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Oct-14 19:30:57
Print Post

Re: Do Openreach lay fibre at night?

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Huge reels of black wire with yellow stripe is the fibre tubing. Fibre is blown down the various mini tubes in the larger tube at a later date

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Thu 30-Oct-14 19:38:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sounds like that's what it is then. Couldn't see the colour on the black as it was dark and loads of lights in my face. The spools looked to be about 4-5ft tall though.

They seem to be starting in a strange spot - they're starting right on the edge of town (exactly on the edge in fact where the Welcome sign is) and going for about a mile, past my CAB and finishing about 100m from the exchange.

Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Oct-14 19:42:59
Print Post

Could just be a gang stealing cable, but unlikely
(experienced) Thu 30-Oct-14 19:47:39
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Hahahaha hadn't thought of that but doubt it on that stretch of road. It's very busy - too many witnesses wink

Speedtest
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Oct-14 19:49:55
Print Post

Most cable thefts are done in broad daylight, being brazen has its benefits to some.
(experienced) Thu 30-Oct-14 19:52:09
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

You never know. I [censored] hope not though. Don't want Openreach to have any reasons to [censored] off and leave before my CAB is done - it's been long enough coming!!

Speedtest
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Thu 30-Oct-14 19:54:25
Print Post

Just been looking at Roadworks... telephone icons all over the place but nothing in my area! frown But as it hasn't got anything for where you are and they are laying Fibre then there is hope. The village where my exchange is just had a cabinet put in so they have at least made a start.
(experienced) Thu 30-Oct-14 20:48:20
Print Post

It's definitely fibre tubing being laid. Just drove past again and saw the yellow writing on the stuff. Also, there's BT signs all over the place now apologising for the inconvenience caused.

It's amazing how quick it's actually going in. They are already more than halfway through the run and it must be 3/4 mile long.

Speedtest
Standard User unknown101
(newbie) Thu 30-Oct-14 22:15:56
Print Post

Yes they lay fibre whenever, if it needs traffic management (which is what it sounds like for your area tonight) then the local council will give them conditions of work e.g. Off peak working, overnight, weekend only etc. They on average usually pull in 300-500m per cable gang but you say there are a lot of people there so they may be trying to do it all in one go with the rolling traffic lights.

Sometimes notices not always show up on the roadworks site.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to