General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Nov-14 09:35:48
Print Post

smaller fibre providers

[link to this post]

As a lot of people on here knows I am using a local point to point Wi-fi service, which is ok most of the time, but sometimes the speed I should be getting and the speed I am getting seems to differ and since i am paying for a higher speed, I should be getting that speed or at least close to it.

This morning it is good, and where it should be http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
But it is the evening that it goes a bit naff and that is when I need the speed for netflix, certainly at the moment with me being at home.

I am going to send the engineer a email as i have been told that there is going to be some updates, I will find out when they are being done if they are going to be done.

But I am also going to have a look at fibre, the problem is I do not really want to go for one of the large providers, BT, sky, Talk Talk, plusnet or EE, but the smaller providers while they seem to be ok with ADSL, they seem to be way over priced for fibre. I really would like to support a smaller provider if I do happen to change.

So do anyone know of any reasonable priced small provider that supplies fibre?

Thanks peoples.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 09:44:52
Print Post

Re: smaller fibre providers

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Zen Internet

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/zen.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Nov-14 18:53:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. Zen is who provides the end service to my provider. I have got one problem, no phone line at the moment, so that would need to be reconnected, but Zen don not offer that service.
It is also still pretty expensive, i worked out about £45 a month, I am paying £29 at the moment.

It looks like that there is no small provider who can compete or come close to the larger providers.

Larger providers offer al the rubbish that I do not want to try and get my custom and they also have these stupid filters, something which smaller providers don't have.

I will not be making up my mind until next year anyway, thanks once again for the reply.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Nov-14 19:13:02
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Zen can connect new phone lines (or reconnect old ones if that is possible) - give the sales team a ring.

Zen is not amongst the cheapest providers, but they are not aiming to compete in the price-sensitive mass consumer market. They're a business orientated ISP who also offer premium home broadband. Things such as UK based support staff and aiming to run their network with little to no visible contention do not come cheap, unfortunately.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Nov-14 09:52:13
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Zen can connect new phone lines (or reconnect old ones if that is possible) - give the sales team a ring.

When I decide what I am doing I will give them a ring.
Zen is not amongst the cheapest providers, but they are not aiming to compete in the price-sensitive mass consumer market. They're a business orientated ISP who also offer premium home broadband. Things such as UK based support staff and aiming to run their network with little to no visible contention do not come cheap, unfortunately.

I had a look at BT site, just for comparison and to be honest the price is no different or very little difference.

Zen

£16.99 for line rental plus £27 for unlimited 38Mb/s Fibre comes to £42.99

BT £16.99 line rental and £23 a month for again up to 38Mb/s comes to £39.99, so about a quid a week less.

No good getting anythign more than 38Mb/s as I would not get any higher than that, nor do I really need it.

The only problem is other costs, having line reconnected and FTTc connection fees.

I doubt i would ever go back to BT anyway, I been with them twice and both times they was a load of rubbish. This is the one problem about going for Fibre, going back onto a BT network. the last time I was on a BT network it was awful, changed to cable and wireless and that was far better, sadly there is nothing like that around here int he Fibre world.

Adrian

Print Thread

Jump to