General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User greatcapp
(experienced) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:02:19
Print Post

BT only for Double Speed

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

I've had BT Infinity (2) for a year or so now, and I get speeds up to 76mb d/l and 17mb u/l.

Can anyone tell me why only BT offer this, and not Sky/Talktalk etc? All of the other providers only seem to be able to give me 40mb d/l with half the upload too.

It would obviously still be using BT's equipment, but is it maybe that BT won't let anyone else offer the higher speeds?

I'd really love to be able to get away from BT as they seem to be utterly incapable of getting my billing right, no matter how many emails/calls I have with them, but I don't really want to have to halve my speeds.

Thanks in advance.

I Poke Badgers With Spoons
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:07:44
Print Post

Re: BT only for Double Speed

[re: greatcapp] [link to this post]

As far as I know, there are plenty of ISPs offering up to 80mb down. Click here to see Thinkbroadband's own comparison.

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest

Edited by WelshWArrior (Mon 03-Nov-14 15:09:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:10:53
Print Post

Our listings show lots of options via the 50+ Meg column which the up to 76 mb product falls into.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps.html

What speeds do you get when you do a speed estimate check for example with TalkTalk? Even though I get just 24 Mbps from checker it does offer me their Fibre Large service as an option so that I can get higher upload speeds than the 2 Mbps of their standard product.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:26:44
Print Post

Sky - scroll down this page, but bear in mind they LLU your phone line which can make leaving them messy, with the safest path being back to BT Retail for both.

TalkTalk - on this page, Fibre large in the same bullet point as the 38Mbps one, though I can't quickly see upstream speeds.

Virtually all other ISPs offer the 78/19 product from Openreach, which is what Infinity 2 is. See my sig for my speed at 600m from the cabinet. You would get the same connection speed as you do now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 03-Nov-14 15:27:28)

Standard User greatcapp
(experienced) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:52:50
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not sure why, but when checking Sky & Talktalk pages previously, i'd only ever managed to find the 38mb links & not the 76mb.

Talktalk seems a pretty nice deal.

I'll have a check thru their forum & see if they seem ok.

Even though Talktalk suggest I'd get a 50mb down speed, am I more likely to get the same as I currently get now from BT, which is 70-75mb?

I Poke Badgers With Spoons
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 16:09:00
Print Post

Same cabinet and same hardware in cabinet so sync speeds are not likely to change.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 03-Nov-14 16:45:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

TalkTalk usually have pretty good deals. There has been concern about their quality, though looking at recent Thinkbroadband ratings that seems to be coming pretty level with the other bulk suppliers. Look at Plusnet to see how it compares to TalkTalk for you.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_3...
(I included AOL and Zen to give (almost?) worst and (almost?) best comparisons).

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Nov-14 17:12:27
Print Post

EE also offer the faster package, called Fibre Plus, directly on their website. As they are effectively just a reseller of BTw they will offer the same.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Nov-14 17:42:09
Print Post

TalkTalk do the same as Sky with the telephone line - LLU it so it is no longer a "BT line" which all non-LLU ISPs require.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Nov-14 19:19:49
Print Post

Sky offer it - it's called "Fibre Unlimited Pro" for one.

Any Entanet ISP can offer it

There is plenty of choice - Sky do admittedly not make it entirely obvious, but it does exist and very good (surprisingly) it is too!
  Print Thread

Jump to