General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gravy
(regular) Wed 05-Nov-14 14:59:18
Print Post

Fibre modem connecting to the Master socket

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am looking at moving to a different provider for Fibre broadband. Currently with Sky Fibre, moving to PlusNet.

Sky Fibre has a fibre router that is plugged in to a phone socket in my Home office via a filter.

PlusNet fibre says I need a Fibre modem plugged in to the MASTER socket and then a router plugged in to the modem.

My master socket is in the living room. My computer is in the study. frown

Does anyone know how the sky box can cope with being plugged in to an extension socket yet the Fibre modem needs the master socket?

Is there anything I can do to the extension socket to make it act like the master socket?

Thanks for your help
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Nov-14 15:23:29
Print Post

Re: Fibre modem connecting to the Master socket

[re: Gravy] [link to this post]

The Openreach fibre modem that PlusNet use will work, but if your wiring is in a poor state running a VDSL2 service from extensions can lead to slower than ideal speeds. That is why PlusNet are saying what they are, they are trying to ensure that your in home wiring will not be the cause of slow speeds.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Nov-14 15:24:00
Print Post

Re: Fibre modem connecting to the Master socket

[re: Gravy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gravy:
Sky Fibre has a fibre router that is plugged in to a phone socket in my Home office via a filter.

PlusNet fibre says I need a Fibre modem plugged in to the MASTER socket and then a router plugged in to the modem.

My master socket is in the living room. My computer is in the study. frown

Does anyone know how the sky box can cope with being plugged in to an extension socket yet the Fibre modem needs the master socket?
When FTTC was introduced all installations were by Openreach, at the master socket and with a free Openreach modem. A similar system applied in the early days of ADSL.

Openreach now allow "self-install", exactly like we are all used to on ADSLx. As VDSL2 is much more sensitive to home wiring issues most ISPs still use the engineer install option so as to avoid complaints from customers when the service is below expectation.

BT Retail and Sky use the self-install for the 40/10Mbps products, BT use engineer install for the 80/20 product - because of the higher expected speeds.

With Plusnet you can order the free Openreach Home Wiring Solution, previously known as a Data extension kit. That should cause an engineer visit, as on an FTTC migration no visit is normally needed. It would be wise to get one of the forum reps involved on the Community Forums once you have signed up, to ensure all the boxes get ticked at Plusnet and Openreach.

Given the HWS the engineer should be able to sort out the best solution balancing the technical side and your wishes. That's a subject for later discussion wrt to your existing wiring. I'd rather also leave discussing what you could do yourself to that discussion, but given the Sky modem/router, if you can change the ISP login username and password in it you could continue just as now - without an Openreach modem.

If you go for the 40/20 Plusnet product, using the Sky modem/router as now, you should get the same downstream and perhaps higher upstream than now. If you are going for the 76/20 we need to look a bit deeper to assess whether your downstream will be faster, and whether or not your use of the extension as now may stop it being as fast as it could be.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to